Ballet Talk for Dancers

Feeling nostalgic about syllabus

pianolady

Redbookish

Yes, many thanks, MissPersistent for your expert explanation!

Auchinlea

I’m back with another question and may I call on your expertise once again Miss Persistent for this query?  

The new marks scheme vs the old one for RAD exams.  In the olden days (😂) it was Pass, Pass Plus, Commended, Highly Commended and Honours. If I recall, it was very hard to get Honours, or even Highly Commended in the old exam system.  How does this compare to the new system of Pass, Merit and Distinction? 

For instance, I was telling my daughter I got Commended for my Pre-Elementary Exam and she wanted to know if that would be a pass or merit in the new system.

Thanks

StormTrouper

I have managed to collect hard copies of the next-to-current InterFndn syllabus (VHS) and Elementary syllabus (VHS). (The current version is on DVD).  So it is interesting to compare the evolution.  The two older versions included a glossary of terminology. 

Doubleturn

I understand RAD are moving back to the 5 different award bands. There was an announcement some months ago.

Miss Persistent
On 10/9/2020 at 9:36 PM, Auchinlea said:

The new marks scheme vs the old one for RAD exams.  In the olden days (😂) it was Pass, Pass Plus, Commended, Highly Commended and Honours. If I recall, it was very hard to get Honours, or even Highly Commended in the old exam system.  How does this compare to the new system of Pass, Merit and Distinction? 

This is a tough question, and in short - they are not really directly comparable as such.  P, PP, C, HC, Hon. we’re in the days before we used numerical marks, so you were just ‘awarded’ the band.  Numerical marking and criteria based marking were introduced somewhere in the 90’s (before my time as an examiner).  However since then, the marking system has undergone a plethora of revisions. We have marked sections out of 20, out of 5, out of 10, we have had different criteria grouped together, general marks, specific marks for things, scaling, rounding, basically everything under the sun. Pass, merit, and distinction levels have moved up and down - so without knowing the exact date of the exams in question you would be had pressed to figure it out! 😀

9 hours ago, StormTrouper said:

I have managed to collect hard copies of the next-to-current InterFndn syllabus (VHS) and Elementary syllabus (VHS). (The current version is on DVD). 

Inter Found and Elementary are from different revisions as such, 2 revisions ago was when Elementary was changed to Intermediate, so you have possibly 2 or 3 revisions ago on VHS, as there is a DVD version of the next-to-current syllabi.  You are correct the current syllabi are on DVD and the RAD app.

1 hour ago, Doubleturn said:

I understand RAD are moving back to the 5 different award bands. There was an announcement some months ago.

Yes, you are correct. From memory they will be pass (40-55), merit (55-65),  high merit (65-75), distinction (75-85), and high distinction (85+)

Iteachballet

Slight correction, if I may, Miss Persistent -

Pass is 40 - 54 / Merit 55- 64 / High Merit 65 - 74/ Distinction 75 - 84/ High Distinction 85 plus

I must say I'm delighted that they've added the extra bands - there is a huge difference between a mark of 55 and one of 74 and it seems very unfair that both candidates would get Merit.  Of course High Distinction would be the equivalent of Honours and, as someone noted above,  that was only awarded very rarely!  I think they had a lot of feedback from teachers about the markings and it's great that they listened to us!  I think it's due to come in January 2021.

Miss Persistent

Thank you iteachballet - you are absolutely correct :) Good thing I am not in charge of the system or there would be lots of arguing about getting a 65! 🤣

Iteachballet

Ha Ha!  Yes indeed!  It's bad enough when a student gets a 74 and you think - Couldn't the examiner have found one more point and given them a Distinction!!!!