Ballet Talk for Dancers

Auditioning While Injured

Balletpassion

There is a summer intensive audition that I would like to attend in a few weeks. The only problem is that I have been injured and will not be able to do all of the jumps or any pointe work at this date. My hope is that I will be able to show my best with everything I am allowed to do at the time. I just want to make sure that by attending I would not be doing anything considered rude. Of course, I would speak to whoever is running the audition before it begins so that they would be aware my injury. So is it ok to audition while injured?

• Administrators

Yes, IF you are able to do everything except jumps and pointe, and definitely talk to the teacher before the class.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure that the teacher will understand that you are injured and cannot do everything. However, do your best work at barre and things that you are able to do in order to show her your skills.

From personal experience, auditioning while injured never works well. I never get into the ones that I try out for in pain. In addition, I have another one this weekend that involves pointe work, but I haven't taken a pointe class in a month. Is that bad?

• Administrators

If you have been injured, and are not yet back to pointe work but can do the rest of the class, then do that, but tell the teacher why you cannot do pointe. But if you cannot do most of the technique class, then it is not a good idea to audition.

• 7 months later...
  • Administrators

Mom2kaipar, I'm so sorry, but you will need to post on a Parent forum. The Young Dancer forums are only for teens and teacher moderators. Your concerns and questions are valid, so please do put them on the Parents of Dancers 13+ forum.