Ballet Talk for Dancers

How do you decide whether to do online school to allow more time for d

Think carefully about what else is learned while attending a bricks-and-mortar academic school with peers of varying interests, politics, socio-economic situations, etc. Think carefully about the extent of socializing and maturing your DD will give up if she restricts herself to an online, cyber education and the small circle of a dance studio.

Online academic programs can be helpful. They can be good academically, but they can also be a poor substitute for socialization, getting along with others, working within a framework of a group dynamic, navigating such, etc.

My daughters have both experienced online academics. They found them quite easy in terms of working around their crazy schedules, but, when they are being really candid, they both have said the courses were quite easy (APs included) and really didn't challenge them. My DD finished her last two years of high school in one year via online high school. Her younger sister thought that was so cool that she wanted to do her whole high school that way. We said 'no', but she did take one class online. After that, she said she'd rather not do those. Too boring. I know there are other students for whom the online options worked out well and they felt they were quite academically rigorous. So, it's definitely one of those 'your mileage may differ'.

This was exactly the point that I was trying to make. I don't think that it's wise for a developing person to have their life narrowed down too much. Nor do I think it makes a strong artist. Online schooling need not mean narrowing your kids' life down. But we know 12 year olds who spend 9-5 in a dance studio and then "homeschool" at night. What kind of life is that? What kind of a person will that create?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dancemaven

• swantobe

• learningdance

• lovedance

What works well for one family is not good for another. Do what works for you!