Ballet Talk for Dancers

Sick Day?

JosephineM

Today my dd was not feeling well. Yesterday she had a sore throat, and today was better, but tired. I had her go to class and told her to do her best. Mainly because she had a private lesson after class, and I don't know the teacher's policy about cancelling. I'm wondering if teachers "respect" a student who attends class even when not feeling well, or if the opposite is true...would the teacher be upset that a student came when not feeling well.

Depends on the teacher. We have one that insists the kids come and sit on the side and watch. And we had another germophobe that freaked when a dancer came in sick.

If the student is sick, the best thing they can do for their training is stay home and get rest!

Since the question has now come up, I would ask the studio if they have a guideline or policy for students who are not feeling well. For example, "if a student is running a fever over 100 degrees, please do not send him or her to class." I know this is the policy at a number of studios in our area since that is also the public schools' policy.

What I find interesting is different families' interpretation of illness. In the same class of mid-teens, (who have been with me since pre-school but are recreational) I have one girl who hardly ever misses and will carry on dancing unless she is really ill and another who is kept at home by even the slightest sniffle/headache etc. These are the two extremes, everyone else falls somewhere in between.

In general I say pupils should come and watch unless they are ill enough to be off school.

iceberg*lover

Honestly, I wish everyone that is sick and contagious would just stay home, both at the studio, at school and the workplace!!!