Ballet Talk for Dancers

Parents vs Ballet

swanlake7ballerina

I'm almost sixteen, and I have been dancing for eleven years. My parents started out supporting my love for ballet, but recently, while expressing a desire to dance professionally, my mom is becoming increasingly unsuportive, and trying to dissuade me from a career in dance. What should i do? I've told her how much ballet means to me, but she's not buying it. Please help!

• Administrators

Swanlake7, what are your parents reasons behind not wishing you to continue towards a career? Can you tell us a bit more about your training, for instance are you in a pre-pro program with daily technique and pointe work, performances, etc? What SI programs have you attended? Have you auditioned and been accepted for this summer? Are your teachers encouraging about your potential for a career in ballet?

My parents don't think I have a chance in the ballet world because of my body type. I'm not big but i'm not particularly small either. I take two hour ballet classes six days a week, and I take those classes en pointe, most of the time. I have attended the ABT Detroit program in the summer of 2011 and in 2012 I attended the Bolshoi Ballet Academy intensive in New York City (ages 15 and above). At ABT I was in the second lowest level and at Bolshoi I was in the lowest level (I was 15). I auditioned for PNB and did not make it. I was reaccepted to Bolshoi Ballet Academy in NYC. My teacher told me that "ballet could be anything I wanted it to be, including a professional career". My parents thought she was just saying that to be nice.

• Administrators

It sounds like you are in a very serious program, which is great. You are still young and have time. I hope that your will be able to show your parents that you have the desire, the focus and the talent to persuade them to allow you to continue your dream, while also doing the things necessary to establish a "plan B" for college, whether that is with a dance emphasis or something else. There are many avenues to achieve a career in dance, including the one through the university process. If they are insistent on college, aim for a top dance program, or a school where you can major in another area but still have the opportunity to dance as much as possible.

• Administrators

Yes, under Career and Education, there is a forum for Colleges/Universities with Ballet Programs.