Ballet Talk for Dancers

Out of control turns.

ccmgirl

When I turn I feel out of control and i go all over the place. I spot, my teacher has commented on that, but I still end up prepping in the wrong direction. Is there anything I can to to improve my turns?

• Administrators

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, ccmgirl. :) There are probably a whole lot of things you can do to improve, but first we need to know a bit more about you, and your training. How old are you, how long have you studied ballet, how many classes a week do you have in ballet technique and pointe, and how long are the classes? Are you talking about all pirouettes or just en dehors or just en dedans pirouettes? Have you learned how to spot? Have you learned correct alignment and weight placement for the preparation? Do you own a solid relevé on balance in the pirouette position? Do you know what things motivate the turning action and how to coordinate them?

If you answer as much as you can of these questions, perhaps we can get some idea of what is going on. In the meantime, you might want to search through this forum, as there are lots of pirouette topics! :)

I am having trouble with turning as well, both en dehors and en dedans. I think my problem comes from not engaging my core and continuing to spot all the way through the turns.

• Administrators

Well, you know, jeteforjoy, once a problem is recognized, then I think you probably already know the answer and what to do about it! :D

I'm 12 years old, take three 1hour 15 min. ballet classes per week and am not yet on pointe. I started ballet at 4 but stopped for 2 years and have just gotten back to ballet. Pirouttes (en dehors and en dedans). As well as other turns such as Piques and Chennes. I have learned to spot, and the correct alignment and placement. As far as the other questions, i don't know.

You're probably right, Ms. Leigh. :) It all comes down to practice and muscle memory, doesn't it?

• Administrators

ccmgirl, I think that you just have to give it a bit more time and patience. You don't have a lot of classes, and after being off for so long, it will take you longer to become comfortable with pirouettes. The years you missed were somewhat critical years, and you will need to work hard to catch up. But it can be done!

Now here is the bad news. You are only 12, and we do not allow anyone under 13 to post on this board. I'm going to have to suspend your posting privileges, but you will remain a member and still be able to read everything. When you reach your 13th birthday just write to Contact Us and tell me that you are now 13, and I will reactivate your membership so you can post. In the meantime, read and learn, and keep working hard, and I'm sure your pirouettes will improve!

• 3 weeks later...

I have trouble doing double en dedans! I just can't balance!

Can you execute a nice clean single?

I agree with balletpassionforpointe, but with all pirouettes! I can't land my foot in the front of my back foot, either, for whatever reason--I automatically close it in the back, no matter how hard I try. Spotting makes it worse for me. :(

• Administrators

If you cannot close an en dedans pirouette to the front then you are not getting around far enough. And, it you don't spot you don't know where you are going to stop! Remember, en dedans pirouettes usually begin facing croisé and end to the opposite croisé, therefore a single turn is really a one and a quarter turn. :wink: