Ballet Talk for Dancers

Is this typical for a ballet teacher?

daffodilduds

I've suspected for a few weeks now that my daughter is generally ignored in one of her classes, but last night after class, she flat out told me that her teacher plays favorites. She explained that this teacher always picks one of three specific girls when he asks for a demonstration. Apparently, he never asks anyone else in the class, and the class has at least 12+ children in it. I've seen these girls on observation day, and they are the best in this class, for sure.

Is this normal to only have the best girls demonstrate? In my eyes, this doesn't make sense and obviously isn't equitable to the other kids in the class. However, is this a case of only having the best demonstrate so that the others don't learn bad habits? Should that be the teacher's role, though?

Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

Not all teachers have 'favorites', sammeecat, however, many do ask students to demonstrate, especially those teachers who can no longer do everything themselves. Hopefully that gets spread around a bit, but it really does not mean one is being ignored if not asked to demonstrate. It is important that any demonstration be executed very correctly, so it will usually be done by those in the class who are perhaps just a bit more advanced or who do certain things a little better than others. I do not think that is favoritism, nor that it means others are ignored. If the teacher is paying attention all the time to just a few and others are not receiving corrections and encouragement in class, that would be being ignored.

I agree with Ms Leigh, I don't routinely ask a student to demonstrate so its not a question of everyone getting a turn. If I'm asking for something in particular that I'm not seeing from the majority I might ask the student that is doing it well to demonstrate. It's not favourites though, just practical. There would be no point having someone that wasn't doing what I wanted demonstrate.

By the way, I am a parent of a 9 year old dancer too but I can't seem to get into my profile to update it! It just tells me I'm not authorised to view profiles even though its just my own!!

:offtopic: BalletTeacherUK, I believe you will be able to access your profile when you have 30 posts and are no longer a "new member". I did think, however, that one could always reach their own profile, even before reaching 30 posts. :shrug:

It was always the norm in my classes growing up that the girls with the best technique were asked to demonstrate so we could all see how to do it correctly (especially as they were usually more capable of the move than the teacher). Just so they didn't get 'big heads' occasionally my teacher would throw the rest of us a bone and let us demonstrate something we were particularly good at. It didn't happen often, though! :happy: I have to admit, though, I learned most of what I know about how proper placement and turnout ought to look by watching my classmates who could do it better than I.

There is a big difference in being "ignored" in class and not being picked to demonstrate in class. I agree with others that it is likely that the dancers who can most demonstrate correctly the needs at hand who will be picked to do so. While I do remember those times and remember that it is difficult for the children not to be picked. With more experience under my belt, know that in reality, why would a teacher pick someone to demonstrate who was not showing that they could do it already in class. It's a tough balance as the teacher likely sees it one way and the student/parents another.

With that stated, DDs teacher did try to spread it around as much as possible. But that didn't mean it was fairly spread around. A tough ballet lesson to learn for sure.

:offtopic: BalletTeacherUK, I believe you will be able to access your profile when you have 30 posts and are no longer a "new member". I did think, however, that one could always reach their own profile, even before reaching 30 posts. :shrug:

Definitely couldn't access my profile before but now I've got 30 posts it let me and I've updated it :)