Ballet Talk for Dancers

more classes..................

Poppiedancer

Hi!

I found out about lots of ballet schools at the beginning of this year. My parents said no you can't do more than 1 class a wk. They want me to concentrate on study. But a couple of days ago I found out about a school which will take me 3 times a wk to catch up 1 and a half hr classes at RAD pre-el.

I have only done 1 and a half yrs recently. I really want to go on pointe.

I'm performing with my once a wk class in 2 wks time. I'm hoping to get my teacher to talk to my parents about it.

I 'd love to do the classes, I can pay for them. They are far away. But I'd love them.

Any ideas?

Love Em

You've got the two best things working in your favor right now!:) Teacher and parents should talk, and you have the willingness and economic wherewithal to pay for the classes! And here's my 2¢ worth, academic scores of motivated dancers actually rise in most cases with the addition of classes!

Good luck!:)

Guest attitude
Originally posted by Mel Johnson

... academic scores of motivated dancers actually rise in most cases with the addition of classes!

Oh, where were you when I needed you!

I don't believe those numbers had come out yet until a couple of years ago, and they're still batting them back and forth to determine what they mean. In my book, they seem to mean that if you give a dancer more ballet classes s/he does better in academic school!

Meanwhile, yesterday a survey was just published about nagging that may be useful here - it seems that parents are asked for something nine times before the average ones cave in!;)

But, my parents really don't want me to do any. I have asked about 3 times before, it's always No or Wait till you're older.

I would love to dance professionally. I found out about 3 NZ tertiary dance institutes but I'm only 14 andyou need to be at an advanced level.

I slip hints, I leave ballet school brochures round the house, I clean my room, study..... etc. But it's still a basic No.

I'd love to do pre-el, the school reckons I could do it for 6 months then do Elementary, RAD. Does any one know what pre el is like? I've heard its quite technical.

The school is also quite far away. I think if I go for a wk I could find people to carpool with.

Any ideas?

Love,

Em who'd love to do it.................................

:)

Survey says, you still have six direct nags left!;) Keep going!

Guest ballet_shalom_forever

Hello!

I say, don't hint them, tell them. Sit down with them and say something like "Look, I've thought long and hard about this, and I firmly believe that I could make it as a professional dancer (even if deep down you dont at least if it looks that way to them, you'll look more believable). I am determined but I need the training. And I knwo my grades are my futur (because hello! they are!) and I promise that my grades won't drop because of it, if they do you can take me out of ballet".

It sounds scary and you will have to work a lot, but it seems the only way to convince then, although you will have to work hard for those grades!

Good luck,

Ballet_sh

• 2 weeks later...
Guest heavenlydancer

i totally understand where you are coming from. expect i am taking all the classes. i have proven to my parents that dance is what i want to do. and although my mom is not very happy with it she allows it as long as i keep my grades up and do things at school too. so talk to your parents and see if you can comprise. like you can take this many classes if you keep your grades up to their expectations. talk to them and your teachers and other students at your studio, they might have good advice and their parents could talk to yours! also what do you do at school? do they think that those activities are taking too much time? you may have to sacrifice somthing else to dance. hope that helped

Hmm, a question just came to mind... Do you have lots of other after-school activities also, Poppiedancer? I remember, when I was in 4th grade, I told my parents I wanted to start taking 3 ballet classes intstead of 2. They said it was fine with me as long as I quit soccer, basically. So I chose to stop playing soccer and they were fine with me taking the class. If that's the problem, too many other activities, think about if there are any that you don't want to do as much as the ballet classes and that might help your parents agree to taking more classes. Good luck:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tigger_fan_ann

I feel your pain, poppiedancer! I want to take classes 5 times a week but my parents only want three! They say it's too expensive if I got to 2 ballet schools every week. I wanted to got to 2 partnering classes and 3 pointe classes. It's so hard to convince parents. I've tried talking to the about getting a scholarship and they reason out transportation and traffic! Geez! :(

Lower your sights a little bit. If anything, you should be trying to add technique classes, not specialties like adagio and pointe. And while I will grant that Philippine traffic is enough to make anybody think twice about the ramifications of additional travel, it's changing the subject, and your parents ought to be gently reminded of that fact.

Hi tigger_fan_ann!

In one way or the other I really can relate to the fear that your parents have concerning the traffic in the Philippines…I’m half German and half Filipina and I’ve been to the Philippines a lot of times. In my opinion, the traffic is just crazy and I’d be worried as well if my daughter (if I had one;)) ) would go there on her own. :eek: :( You don’t have to say in which town you if you don’t want to but is it a big city (such as Manila or Quezon City)?

My mum lived near Quezon City but it still was too far away for her to take ballet and piano lessons and her parents actually didn’t allow her to travel that far away several days a week although it wouldn’t have been a financial problem at all.

Are both schools too far away from your home town? Maybe you could choose the school that’s not too far away from home and maybe take 2 lessons in a row (although that’s pretty tough) so that you don’t have to travel that much? But again, there’s the problem with the RAD exams…What kind of technique does your current school teach? RAD, Cechetti, Vaganova…?

I know that it’s hard cause you want to take additional ballet lessons but think about your parents’ concerns as well! I have to travel a lot to go to ballet class as well but it’s quit different when you live in Germany (I’d never offend the Philippines cause that’s where my heart is at:D , but it’s a matter of fact). How do you intend to get to your ballet school? By bus?

-Svenia-

Guest attitude

Tigger_fan_ann, I honestly don't know how you can juggle going to 2 schools. From what I've read about you they'd have to be really good schools and they are few and far (literally) in between in the Philippines. Traffic is really just an excuse, my parents have used it on me many times so I ended up learning to catch a jeepney on my own by the time I was 11 (now I'd be too scared to do it!) There's traffic everywhere and we Filipinos have learned to live with it.

Go for the scholarship anyway, tell them it won't hurt to try and if you get it your parents are bound to change their minds. They would know how important and what great opportunity that is and they'll yield (hopefully). Strike a deal with them eg. If I get 95% in English can I take an extra class (make sure you pick a subject you're really good at). Good luck!

Guest tigger_fan_ann

hahaha! You're right svemaus! Okay, so I'm about to trurn fourteen next month and I'm still scared to commute! Sure! There's the MRT but hullo?! Geez! It's sad coz I can't use the grade 95 as an excuse! Last quarter, my grades were like all 90 and above! I asked my parents if I could go to ballet 5 times a week next quarter as a reward but they didn't buy it! Shoot!

svemaus: I live in quezon city. I study ballet under the "great" Tita Radaic... she won ths award from RAD or something... anyway, The other schools I want to go to are in Mandaluyong and QC.... You know Halili Cruz? It's actually near that I can just walk from my house to there! And my teacher teaches RAD and a new syllabus... it's a mix of Vaganova, Cechetti, Chinese and RAD methods for Filipinos >>> it's called the Philippine Ballet Syllabus<<< (oh and I'm part Spanish... and my uncle is German... he's the husband of my father's sister! Whew!)

attitude: Prepare relaxation methods once you arrive the Philippines... you might need it when you get stuck in the traffic! Bleck! ohhh... and there's this MRT along EDSA and this overpass and underpasss to somewhere near Quezon Ave.. or is it Boulevard... and EDSA... Geez! Just prepare! You might get shocked! Hehe!