Ballet Talk for Dancers

Television: SYTYCD w/ the Stars?

Okay, so, Jazz and Contemporary????? If they start adding Ballet and Tap, I'm OUT!!!!

• Administrators

I know. It doesn't seem right to me either.

I'm sorry, I'm lost! Have they combined DWTS with SYTYCD somehow?

• Administrators

It does seem that way. It's too bad, IMO.

We had company so I only got to peek a few minutes. I did see about 10 seconds of Kelly Pickler. Anyone know of her prior dance history? It appeared to me like she might have one.

• Administrators

She sure looks like she has a background! I think she is lovely, and after seeing only two nights, she would be my pick for the mirror ball. The 16 year old is cute, and moves well, but maybe a little too cute and a bit full of herself for my taste. The football player is doing quite well, too!

I was surprised by the jazz myself. I think someone may have done contemporary toward the end of last season. Was it Tony and Melissa? Except for a few memorable pieces over the years, it all blends together in my memory after awhile. But jazz is definitely a new one. As we watched, I asked DD, age 11, to tell me if she recognized any steps she has learned in her jazz classes. She said there wasn't much that looked like true jazz technique. Not that she is an expert!! But when CarrieAnn described jazz technique as "incorporating a lot of elements from a lot of styles" including hip hop and some others that I can't remember, it seemed to me that maybe DD might have been right. I wonder if the judges were just expecting a routine that just looked jazzy.

I think they're trying to shake things up a bit by trying new things (anyone else dislike the animated graphics they've been adding to the stage settings?), but I would prefer that they stick with the ballroom and Latin styles myself.

With that said, I do think jazz suited Andy Dick; I thought his Mad Hatter routine was really fun. And I loved Kellie and Derek's piece, too. So maybe I should give the jazz a chance after all.

By the way, why does Derek always seem to get the stars with the most potential?? Okay, not always. But usually!

This season is the worst, I think. Many celebrities can't even move, leave alone dance... And some of the new pros don't dance like pros at all. We stopped watching it after the first fifteen minutes.

Hate to admit that I let myself get hooked on any reality TV show let alone DTWS (at least its not Dance moms :grinning: ) but its fun so far. Liked watching Kelly Pickler, only celebrity that looks to have some kind of dance back ground.

Thanks for mentioning this -- I thought the same thing. My fiance and I have been having fun with some ballroom lessons, so I had him watch an episode and he was like "what's with the contemporary"... I didn't have an answer for him - so I guess I'm right there with y'all!

But it seems Season 10 of SYTYCD begins May 14, according to the Fox web site, and the audition tour just ended, so at least there's that to look forward to!

My picks for DWTS:

1. Kellie Pickler

2. Zendaya

3. Jacoby Jones

I know its a different show...but Shaping Sound, Travis Wall's contemporary company just announced their tour. In conjunction with the tour is a series of workshops. So your dancer can take a class with the dancers from the show.....

Let me just say, Travis Wall better be teaching that class.....