Ballet Talk for Dancers

practicing at home?

Guest primapink26

Guest primapink26

will it effect you dancing (goodor bad) if you practice stuff at home? this may be a stupid question but ive heard some people say that practicing at home makes you start practicing mistakes and ruins your technique. i would like to know because i practice at home all the time!

• Administrators

Practicing at home is fine, IF, and that is a very big IF, you really understand exactly what you are doing and only practice things that you know you are doing correctly. Even with that, it is very easy to develop bad habits when working on your own, and bad habits are really, really hard to get rid of :D I do not recommend practicing at home, or anywhere else, for the beginning and lower level students. Only for those advanced enough to know what they need to do and how to do it.

Better to spend your time at home working on your feet with a theraband, and some basic floor stretches and exercises for abs.

Guest ballet_shalom_forever

I was wondering the exact same thing myself. My teacher doesn't teach us the proper technique (i'm no expert but you can tell...) and my mom always tells me "the only way to become a dancer is through practicing" but I don't even know how to do a proper plie and everytime i try i always wobble on my way up. So pratcising isn't easy for me and I hate when people assume I'm just being lazy.

Thanks Ms Leigh.

ballet_sh