Ballet Talk for Dancers

Hip Alignment Belts

Kat1

Does anyone know where you can buy a ballet turn out belt for a 9year old girl in a cool,bright color or pattern? Thanks!

• Administrators

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Kat1.

I'm afraid that I have no idea what a turn out belt is, and to tell you the truth, I don't think I want to know! There are no "devices" to create turn out, and I will also tell you that we do not believe in devices for anything related to ballet, with the possible exception of a theraband, which is used to aid stretching. But I would not recommend even that for a 9 year old, unless they are trained in how to use it properly and supervised while using it.

• Administrators

Oh. Well, those are, in my opinion, useless and totally detract from the look I want to see as a teacher in the classroom. I would not allow them. I know that some studios use them, but I see no validity in them whatsoever, and I really dislike the look. They cut the line and make the dancers look like their torso is longer and their legs shorter. Major opposite of what they should want to look like.

Sorry to be so negative on your first topic, but you hit on one of my "issues". :wink:

That's okay:)! I searched your previous posts on these earlier so I knew what the majority felt. Unfortunately, her studio requires them.

Our school requires them at the lower levels. I'm not sure if you are in the US, but you can find them on discount dance or allaboutdance.com. You can also just sew a piece of elastic together.

My daughter has one of these. I think she wears it on her waist to define her waist more. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with hip alignment when worn this way. I think the girls wear it for fashion at her school. I think it helps her hike up the legs which also seems to be a thing she is doing lately.

My daughter bought an adjustable one from discount dance which might be good if your daughter is small and growing.

• Administrators

Some schools use them at the waist, which is not so bad. I think it still breaks the line, but, at least at the waist it is a tolerable look, especially if the belt is the same color as the leotard. A big problem these days is that young dancers think that their hips are their waist because that is where there jeans go! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

What is the point of the belt anyway? Is it used in some methods and not others?

• Administrators

I see no purpose in it at all, anniebug, and I don't believe it has anything to do with method. It is just the preference of some teachers, I guess. :shrug:

Guest Missmary

The first time I saw the use of "alignment belts" was in the mid 70s - the Eastern European and Chinese gymnasts wore them in training (at the waist) and I occasionally saw them worn during pre-competition warm-ups. The stated purpose was that they were to serve as a reminder to hold their stomachs in - although in retrospect, it seems that the Chinese and Eastern European gymnasts were the prototype for lordic posture in gymnastics, so I can't see that they did anything in reinforcing proper alignment. I still occasionally see some American gymnasts wearing them in training - but I have always felt that it was a "copycat" choice of some gymnasts, particularly the young/new ones. I agree that they don't serve any purpose,

My DD attended a studio that used hip alignment belts of various colors with black leotards to designate different levels. I always thought it was odd that they didn't tell the girls where they were supposed to wear them so some wore on the hips and some on the waist which made it look a little messy to me.

They have them at Discount Dance. My daughter wanted a couple of them for Christmas as merely a "fashion statement" I think. (They are not required or suggested by the school.) Understanding that dark colored leos get a little boring, I got her a couple belts. She was delighted to report that not only did she have fun wearing them, but she got a couple corrections on hip alignment in grande jete'! She very well may have gotten the corrections with the belt of course, but they are still colorful and fun... ;o) Plus they hold up her sweater pants that are a little big while she stretches.