Ballet Talk for Dancers

What should I wear to the audition?

sarah_pirouettes

This audition is for the younger age group of the school. I am going shopping for new leotards, because they told us that we can wear whatever style/color/cut leotard we wish to wear, and same with ballet slippers (the younger group is not en pointe yet).

A little more info about this school...it's a very prestigious school, but apparently the school isn't stuck in one style or method, but mainly specializing in classical ballet. My sisters auditioned but none got in, but my brother did (he was younger than all of them).

I have a sort of inverted triangle sort of shape, but with toned legs with a little bit of fat just where the bikini line is. I also have strong calves that are defined. My arch is not my strength at all. I have a little bit of fat under my arms. My collarbones are very visible, and my midsection is tiny, and when I push my tummy out, it goes a little far but not too much.

Thank you! :)

• Administrators

Sarah, it's best to try on a few different styles, and see which looks the best on you. Then select a pretty color, or black. The leotard should be a solid color, and not a bright color. Make sure the leotard is a tasteful and classical style, not one of those that looks more like a bathing suit! :o

You should really show off what you have. If you are concerned about the fat under your arms you should try a long sleeve or a 3/4 sleeve, but I don't think the teacher will be looking at that. You should do a black leotard to look sophisticated, but to make it fun and stand out you caould probably find a leotard with a different color trim or one that is color blocked. I hope this helped! :)

I wouldn't wear anything too flashy. By flashy I mean a super bright color, something with a design or pattern, or something that shows a lot of skin. Color wise, black is always a safe choice and makes all bodies look better then usual. But, if you want to stand out its a great idea to wear a colored leotard. As I said before, I don't recommend too flashy of a color like a bright orange or a light green but something like a blue or a red could be very nice! Style wise, I do not recommend something too tight in the chest area because you said that you have a little fat around your arms and that will make it stand out. So that would include something like a halter. So, according to what you said about your body, I would highly recommend a dark blue short sleeved leotard (short sleeved to hide the arm fat) with a low cut neck line (to show off your collar bones), and high cut leg lines (to elongate your legs) also you would want it to be pretty tight in the tummy area to show off your flat stomach. Hope this helped! Let me know what you end up choosing!

Thank you! I will let you know. I'm looking at some online like the ones you suggested. The low cut neckline idea I actually never thought about, so that's cool :)

You should really show off what you have. If you are concerned about the fat under your arms you should try a long sleeve or a 3/4 sleeve, but I don't think the teacher will be looking at that. You should do a black leotard to look sophisticated, but to make it fun and stand out you caould probably find a leotard with a different color trim or one that is color blocked. I hope this helped! :)

Thanks, yes, I'm looking at leotards with short sleeves! I made a new rule for not buying camisole or halter leotards. :(

• Administrators

Okay, question asked and answered and this has turned into a Buddy Board topic, so it is closed.