Ballet Talk for Dancers

Gaining Weight as a Dancer

danceprincess

I've noticed since I've started dancing regularly I'm gaining a little weight. I've always been small. Since I've started dancing more I've gained about 10 pounds. I'm eating a lot more since I'm dancing almost 15 hours a week and I need the energy to make it through ballet classes and rehearsals but I'm starting to become self conscious about the little weight that I'm gaining. How can I control it so it doesn't get out of hand and is it normal to see an increase in appetite when dance becomes a regular part of your routine?

Edited by Momof3darlings
Weight removed. BTforD does not allow weight to be discussed.
  • Administrators

Muscle weighs more than fat, therefore, when one becomes more fit and develops stronger muscles, the weight is likely to be a bit higher.

Agree, Ms. Leigh :) There is no way you can be gaining fat while dancing that much every week (unless you are gorging on burgers and cake by the truckload every day)...you are probably just getting firmer and getting a little more muscular....

That is hardly something to be "self conscious about" !!!!

I would second Miss Leigh's thought, that as you increased your training, it is highly likely you are increasning your muscle tone and mass. I would try and see it as a good thing! You are probably getting a lot stronger :)

Muscle weighs more than fat, therefore, when one becomes more fit and develops stronger muscles, the weight is likely to be a bit higher.

Thanks. I did not know we weren't allowed to talk about weight on here. I apologize.

• Administrators

That's okay danceprincess. I just removed the numbers. :)

You may want to look at how much more you're eating. An extra 15 hours of ballet a week may not translate into quite as many calories burned as you may think. Gaining 10 pounds of muscle on small women's frame seems unlikely, particularly via ballet alone, though I agree that some weight gain from muscle is likely.

I think it's very difficult if not impossible to attribute weight gain to any specific cause other than the general statement that probably you are putting more calories into your body than you are burning in energy. Metabolisms change with age, muscle weighs more than fat as said above, bodies change their shape seemingly on their own.

Dancers as a whole are pretty body conscious. I'd guess that 99% of us adult dancers would like to lose a pound or two or three. Very difficult to do, however. Best to just throw out the scales and live a healthy lifestyle in general and accept yourself as you are I think.

• Administrators

Since this topic is on Adult Ballet Students, if you are not listed on your profile as an Adult Student, then I have to remove your post. Sorry.