Ballet Talk for Dancers

Why do I not get as sore after ballet anymore?

DancingForever

I used to get uber sore after ballet class; not only during and directly after class but also the next day and the day after that. The only times my soreness would go away was in class the next day after I had warmed up, and then it would come back later, even worse than before.

I've improved greatly since when I started this level and I can tell I am working hard in class, I sweat a lot {gross but also good! xD}, and I don't feel like things are "easy" {our teacher says that if something is easy, we're doing it wrong! xD}.

But now I barely get sore. I'm barely sore at all after ballet and I'm not sore at all the next day. During class I do get sore though, only sometimes {especially my calves, after we do the torture exercise...it's sort of complicated to explain what that is}, but after I stretch and do some other exercises it goes away.

I'm afraid I'm doing everything wrong because I'm not sore anymore, but like I said I thought I was doing really well. Is it normal that I do not get sore anymore or am I not trying hard enough?

Thanks!

Edited by DancingForever
  • Administrators

If you are dancing regularly, with several classes a week, then you should not be sore during or after classes. Soreness is more often caused by either doing something wrong, or overstretching, or doing to much of one particular kind of exercise, or simply not have several classes per week.

Please try to explain the "torture" exercise. I would like to know what that is.

{Please excuse my spelling, I am not very good at spelling ballet terms!}

Okay, so the torture exercise starts in a fifth position, preparation sous-sous, and then we lift our left leg up to arabesque.

We then proceed to do eight plies followed by a releve. Then, we bend our leg into attitude, and we do eight plies with releve.

After that we do eight more in arabesque, and eight more in attitude.

Then, after the 7th one of the attitude in the second set, we do a pas-de-bourree and lift our right leg up to arabesque and do it all again.

The rules:

1. Your heel must touch the ground in plie

2. You must have a deep plie

3. The leg must be kept at 90 degrees

4. The leg may not bounce

5. The knee must be in the correct position in attitude

6. You may not lean on the barre

7. Releves must be high

If anybody breaks any of these rules, the entire class starts over from the beginning. :P {She always says this but she never makes us start over, haha!}

Thanks for the answer, by the way! So, since I'm not sore that's a good thing!

Edited by DancingForever
  • Administrators

That is a seriously large number of one foot relevés during barre (please note spelling) work, unless you are in pointe shoes and have already had a technique class. Ballet is not supposed to be about torture. It is not easy, and it is often not comfortable, however, I would have to question that exercise in a ballet technique barre, for any level. Building strength is important, but it can't be done overnight, and it can't be done with overuse.

Are you really never supposed to be sore? Now I feel like I'm doing something wrong! I never get sore the day of, only the next day is when I really feel it. I know my teachers often have a class with a 'focus' on one specific aspect of ballet, although we still obviously think about and get corrections on everything else. For example, today's focus was turn out, so I except all my rotation muscles will be quite sore tommorow. Working on rotation basically meant doing excersises very slowly, so we could really have time to feel the rotation in the right place, rather than trying to keep up with a quicker pace incorrectly. We would get individual corrections on everything, but when we got corrections as a class, they were about rotation for the most part. Maybe I'm sore from working mostly on one aspect? Or is it more likely I'm doing something wrong?

• Administrators

It could be either one or both things causing it.

Of course dancers do sometimes get sore muscles, but it is normally from doing some kind of things that are different, or from doing the work itself differently by using the right, or the wrong, muscles. No way for us to know that. However, too much of any one kind of work can also do that. For instance, if you are used to doing 4 grand battements in one direction, and you do 8, you might feel the difference. Repeating the same thing over and over can do it, holding extensions much longer than you normally do might do it, too many jumps or relevés, etc., etc. So, what I am saying is that many things can cause it, and you do need to find out what is doing it to you, but we can't know that. It's time to talk to your own teachers, or perhaps to take a look at some other classes somewhere else, like in a good pre-pro school.

That is a seriously large number of one foot relevés during barre (please note spelling) work, unless you are in pointe shoes and have already had a technique class. Ballet is not supposed to be about torture. It is not easy, and it is often not comfortable, however, I would have to question that exercise in a ballet technique barre, for any level. Building strength is important, but it can't be done overnight, and it can't be done with overuse.

So...you think it's a bad thing? Our class always complains about it but we do it so our legs will get a lot stronger. We always stretch before AND after doing the exercise, and it's never at the beginning of class. It's not actually torture, they call it the "torture exercise" because it's hard to do; the name is more of a joke.

We don't do this every class, usually only once a week, on Monday. It's part of our conditioning.

Edited by DancingForever
  • Administrators

Tell me again how old you are and what level you are in and how many classes a week you have. Also how long are the classes? Are you on pointe? Do you have separate pointe classes? I don't have time right now to go back and read all your posts to remember your background.

I'm not comfortable giving my age, but I am in the older section of this age division. I am at a relatively low level because I started dancing when I was twelve. I have three classes a week:

Monday: Ballet for 2 hours

Tuesday: Character for 45 minutes, ballet for 1 hr 15 minutes

Wednesday: Jazz for 1 hour, ballet for 1 hr 30 minutes

Yes, I am on pointe. We do not have separate pointe classes; on Monday and Tuesday we have 15 to 30 minutes of pointe at the end of class, on Wednesday more than 30 minutes is pointe.

Edited by DancingForever

Thank you. Interesting, I always thought sore muscles were always a good thing. You learn something new every day.

• Administrators

DancingForever, I really don't know why you have sore muscles. It could be any of the things I mentioned above, or, it could be that you dance a lot for 3 days and then nothing for 4 days. It's always best when the training is consistent through the week, if not every day for 5 or 6 days, at least the 3 days spaced more evenly. But, it could also be the training itself, the floors, or simply that you have very tight muscles and they are resisting the training.

• 2 weeks later...

DancingForever, I think that maybe you've developed your muscles to a point where they can stand painful exercises like that. I have the same feeling after what I would consider rigorous ballet classes and sometimes come out without a limp, which is rare! Happy dancing! :)

• 2 weeks later...

DancingForever, I really don't know why you have sore muscles. It could be any of the things I mentioned above, or, it could be that you dance a lot for 3 days and then nothing for 4 days. It's always best when the training is consistent through the week, if not every day for 5 or 6 days, at least the 3 days spaced more evenly. But, it could also be the training itself, the floors, or simply that you have very tight muscles and they are resisting the training.

The thing is, I don't get sore anymore! :) I do sometimes, but it doesn't last and it's not "painful" at all. Thanks for your help!