Ballet Talk for Dancers

Symphony in C, ABT at Kennedy Center

jimpickles

Last week I was in Washington and saw (among other things) the ABT doing Symphony in C at the Kennedy Center. It was the first Balanchine ballet that I had seen. I presume quite a few members of this board have seen this production as well. I just wonder, as a matter of educating me, what was your overall view of it? It did not look particularly "Balanchine" to me, in so far as I know about the style from reading about it, but it was certainly different from what I was familiar with, as I was engrossed and on the edge of my seat knowing (without actually being able to put my finger on the reasons) that there were lots of differences from styles of ballet that I was used to seeing. And of course I do not know how much of that was Balanchine, and how much was the ABT, which I had not seen before either. If anyone would be able to give a brief opinion of this production (I am not asking people to do a long crit for me) it would be much appreciated.

I did look on the sister board but there was no mention as far a I could see.

Many thanks if anyone can,

Jim (now back in Oz).