Ballet Talk for Dancers

Adult ballet classes in Jerusalem

shulie

Hi,

I will be in Israel (Jerusalem) for study purposes all June and July. Are there good adult open classes I could attend? Levels are fine from Beginning on to Intermediate.

Thank you,

Shulie

I have no idea, Shulie, but just wanted to say Hello, and Alles gute? Haven't seen you around here for a while.

How funny! I am also studying in Israel in June! :) I would also be interested in adult ballet classes in Jerusalem. Maybe I'll have time to sneak in a ballet class lol! On another note, are there any well known or nice dance shops in Jerusalem that might be worth a visit?

Hi Redbookish! :cool2:

Thank you soo much for remembering me! :grinning: I was lurking a little but didnt actively post. I had very troublesome times, different health issues and personal problems and a very demanding job and lifestyle.

But i hope everything will get better now.

:)

jesi: I don't think its worthwile shopping for dance stuff in Israel. From what I know the selection is limited and much too expensive. What kind of program will you attend?

Shulie

Thanks Shulie that's good to know! :) My university is doing a 12 day class on biblical geography. Were touring a few areas but staying in Jerusalem for a few days. What is your program like? :)

Hi Moderators - maybe you can move this to cross talk as I can't answer in this group

I will move it if the original poster would like that.

I honestly don't know if there are any adult classes in Jerusalem - I can try and find out for you. If you can get to Tel Aviv there are loads of classes all over the place. The classes that I attend in Bikorei HaItim Centre are at 9am, apart from Fridays when class is at 10.30pm, but there are several other studios where there are open adult classes (Studio B and Studio Pure are two) and they are held at various times during the day and evening. Jerusalem to Tel Aviv is only about 50 minutes by bus and if you get a bus to the Arlozorov Bus Station, you're pretty much in the centre of things. The classes I take are, I think, the only ones with live piano accompaniment, but the teachers are good in the other places too. There is a YMCA in Jerusalem - they may have classes there. As I said I'll ask around and see if I can find out anything for you :)

Wow, thanks for the info Hamorah! What level would you say the class you attend in Tel Aviv is? Also, you said 9 am besides Fridays, does this mean they have classes everyday including the weekends? Just wanted to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you. I really appreciate the wealth of information you have. :) One last question, would it be difficult to follow along in a class without speaking the language? Sorry if it's a silly question. Thanks again!

There are classes at the Bikorei HaItim centre I go to every sunday, monday, tuesday and wednesday at 9am and 10.30 on friday. We quite often have english speakers in class and if you tell the teachers they will use English when they talk to you. I'm sure you could cope - the names of the steps are the same wherever you are! And most Israelis speak English, so if you don't understand something you can always ask. The classes are reasonably advanced, but not madly so and the mix of dancers in the classes includes former pros, dance teachers keeping in shape and modern dancers trying to improve their classical technique. There are also adult recreational dancers. No-one is critical, so even if the standard is above what you're used to, you don't have to worry!

Studio B in Tel Aviv has four or five ballet classes almost every day at various times and levels. The site is in Hebrew, so there's no point in giving you the link. Their classes are very large and to recorded music, but the teachers are very good.

Studio Pure is also popular, but the studio is small and again only recorded music. I prefer paying a bit more for smaller classes in a good studio and enjoying the wonderful pianists!

Thanks so much. That class sounds great:) I've never had the privilege of taking class with a live pianist! One last question, what is the approximate cost for one class?

If you buy a card of 10 classes it works out at about $10 a 90 minute class. Single classes cost more - about $14 I think.

I have heard from a friend who teaches in Jerusalem and she says that there are adult classes in Studio 6 in Jerusalem ( 972-77-7866630 ) and at Mechola (972-2-5636663). Did you just want to take ballet or other styles as well?

Thank you for all the information. Hopefully at least one of the classes will fit into my schedule over there! :) I'm only looking for ballet, but the original poster might be looking for other genres as well :) Thanks again!