Ballet Talk for Dancers

Inconsistent Turning en Dedans

sallydancer035

I've never been a turner en dedans. I find them really difficult. I can do a consistent single en dedans and hold my foot in pirouette position afterwards, but I really cannot do doubles - with or without the 'fouette movement'. I always seem to either start hopping or I put the heel of my standing leg down. Also when doing a turn with the 'fouette movement', does the leg go to second and as you bring it to pirouette position you releve, or are you supposed to releve while the leg goes to second?

I'm assuming you can do a clean double en dehors? It's no different- you're just turning the other way! I suspect you are mentally sabotaging your pirouette en dedans.

First, take the phrases, "I've never been a" and "I cannot" out of your vocabulary. Next, try visualizing. See yourself doing a clean double en dedans and en dehors. Then get up and do it.

As far as the fouetté movement, there are different ways depending upon the ballet methodology, so you may want to check to see what your teacher wants.

• Administrators

And don't forget that a double en dedan turn takes just a little bit more energy, as it is really a two and a quarter turn, assuming you start from 4th croisé and end to the opposite croisé. :) Don't forget that second spot, too!

Thank you so much! Also I feel like I lead with my arms - twisting my torso - and then the rest of my body catches up, is there any way to stop this? Just practice?

• Administrators

If you feel like you are leading with your arms, you probably are. Therefore, stop doing that. The arms are a result of the use of the back, and while they are important and definitely help in the turn, they do not motivate it. The torso does, and the arms move at the exact same time, not before or after. They are a part of the movement. It all must coordinate with the plié and the spring to the relevé.

Thank you so much! I will definitely use all your advice!

I hope it is still ok to post here :nixweiss: but recently I've been leaning to one side during the turn, how can I stop doing this?

• Administrators

Well, which side is it, the supporting side or the retiré side? You have to know that in order to fix it. If it's the retiré side then you are not getting your weight centered on the supporting side, and allowing yourself to hold back towards the retiré leg. If it's the supporting side, then you are probably moving too far over your supporting leg. In both cases you could also be literally dropping one side, not supporting it with your back muscles. You can't "lean" anywhere if you are centered on one leg with the other one doing something else and expect to be on balance. Is it your body weight that is leaning, or are you actually leaning, like dropping the shoulder and ribs? Or both? Either way, that won't work. You need to be vertical to balance and to turn.

It is my supporting side, and there is a lean on my shoulders and ribs.

• Administrators

Okay, then you know you are leaning. Good. Now what are you going to do to not lean? :wink: Seriously, if you know what you are doing wrong, you probably can figure out how not to do it! You know you have to be vertical, therefore you have to make yourself vertical and practice staying that way. You know how to relevé to the position, but you need to practice doing it, just turning the corner, not making a pirouette. Practice it until your muscles on the supporting side learn that they cannot collapse, and you can hold the position for the length of time it would take to make a pirouette.

When you can do that, on both sides, consistently, then practice turning another quarter, etc., until you have a full one and a quarter pirouette, assuming you start in 4th croisé and end closing front 5th to the opposite croisé.

I will definitely practice the relevés with quarter turn. Thank you so much!