Ballet Talk for Dancers

Two technique classes in one day

jesimarshell

I think I remember reading on here that it's not ideal to have two technique classes on the same day. I'm planning my summer dance schedule out and realized that it's inevitable to have two technique classes on the same day. I take ballet at both a community college and a studio near by, so the schedules are a bit conflicting. Here's what my schedule for the summer looks like

Modern- Monday and Wednesday

Int/adv ballet technique- Tuesday and Thursday 10:30-1:00

Beginning ballet technique- Tuesday and Thursday 6:45-8:15 (beginning pointe follows for approx. 15 minutes)

Is this much technique on just Tuesday and Thursday going to be damaging on my body? I'm really hoping the modern class will help to keep my body in shape in between technique classes. Any suggestions on how to prepare for my second class? I'm worried that my schedule might look like this for another year or so, is this going to be a problem? Any one been on the same situation and have tips for not getting overly tired? :)

Thanks so much for any advice any of you might have :)

Are two technique classes twice a week going to damage your body? In my opinion...no. I don't know how old you are, or how many classes you usally take, but if you are reasonably strong you won't damage your body. It's a shame that the order isn't reversed, though. I love a beginning ballet technique class in the morning. I think it is a great way to start the day. I notice, however, that the morning class is 2 1/2 hours. That's a very long class.

Thank you for your reply. :) Okay, good to know. I am quite young, so hopefully it'll all go well. Yes, because its a community college class and they have to arrange the credits according to certain hours, our classes are long. They're also usually a mixed level class, so we get a 10 minute break, have some stretches throughout the class, and it takes double the time for combinations to be explained since there is a beginner class and an intermediate/advanced class in the same room. We usually start late and get out a bit early though. :)