Ballet Talk for Dancers

Not Serious Enough? Moving Away vs. Not

flyingpancake

I live in a small town, with no professional companies around. The closest ones are in the next state. I'm wanting to get serious, but that's very hard, since I'm one of the oldest girls in my studio. I'm just starting to think about this, but is moving away a good choice, or is staying at home the way to go?

What were your experiences? How did moving away, or staying work out for you?

I wanna' hear it!

Edited by BurtonPawlick

BurtonPawlick-

If the training at your local ballet school offers both the quality and quantity of classes to get you to a company-ready position, then you should stay there and just do out-of-town SIs.

However, if the training and the schedule cannot compete with typical pre-professional environments, then it may be time to look into a year-round program.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello :-) I found myself in the same situation. I ended up deciding to move away to a pre-pro program, starting this September. It took me almost a year of thinking, auditioning, and careful planning to decide! It's going to be a big change, but it was what I needed to further my training. I'm scared, but excited! Obviously there are pros and cons to both staying and going. I think it all depends on the person, and whether or not you're getting the training you need at home. I wasn't able to get the number of quality ballet classes I needed, so I ended up deciding to make the switch. :)