Ballet Talk for Dancers

Tendus, or..........Rock Around the Clock?

Ludmilla

Dance school (for adults - recreational, but serious) is closed for the teens' SI and I thought I might ask this here:

When reversing a fairly basic combination that is done in four sections - first to croise deviant (Cecchetti calls it facing "corner 2" I believe)...a series of tendus, and a few other steps is the first section; then pivots (to face "corner 1") and repeats ('reversing' or doing the 'flip side' of this.) Then, the third and fourth section are done 'reversing' to croise derriere, (of course still facing one of those two front corners, though head positions also follow the derriere position(s) -- hence the 4 sections I am describing form sort of like a pie cut into 4 equal pieces.

I hope that explanation makes sense. .....to recap: The four sections are: first corner 2 is faced; then corner 1. Then the remaining two quarters are done, each one facing a front corner and 'reversed' to derriere, from the original series. So it essentially repeats 4 times (to go around) - twice to each of the two croise devant(s); twice derriere, each of those two facing one of those front corners.

This ends us up with right foot forward, in 5th, croise devant in the same 5th position, same feet as at the start.

My question is: Doing this on my own at home suddenly I realize I have not committed to memory whether this is done: "Right, Left; then Right ("reversed"/derriere facing corner 2), Left (reversed/derriere facing corner 1)." OR, is there a "norm" for this combination (it is not meant to be tricky or complicated - I am just not remembering -- though of course may just be this particular teacher's choreography). But I think it is a fairly standard combination....is it meant to go "Around the Clock" - (my description), so the four sections are (and in ballet logic): Croise devant facing Corner 2; Croise devant facing Corner 1; reversed to derriere, but still facing corner 1; last section: reversed/derriere, facing Corner 2. So in essence - Right, Left, Left (reversed/derriere), Right (reversed/derriere)......around, clockwise? Or said better perhaps: Croise devant; Other croise devant; Croise derriere; Other croise derriere.

In other words it is a fun way to drill some or several of the 8 positions of the body basically - a "take" on this which requires thinking around the circle and reversing legs, arms, head for those positions and that does cover quite a number of them by the time you go around, each of the 4 sections.

Is it ballet logic that this is the pattern for a combination like this to go around clockwise rather than Right, Left, Right, Left? Or is it just this way due to my teacher's choreography? I will ask her later in the year but for now how do our experts see this? The combination is simple really but I have gotten hung up on whether it goes around clockwise, or Right, Left, Right Left? (that my everyday brain seems to want to do, here practicing on my own...) Well, I'll post this and see it if makes sense for someone to comment on? .....it's one of those crazy details I can't let go of and wonder why I did not realize in class how the 'traffic pattern' in the derriere two sections really works.... (again if this is not a standard type of drill and happens to be up to the teacher's choreo, I'll just have to wait till the class resumes to ask.............. :dizzy: )

:nixweiss: Thanks very much, Ludmilla

• Administrators

It is a very typical way of doing that kind of combination, Ludmilla.

• Administrators

I'm not sure what you mean about around clockwise. I read it as going clockwise croisé devant right to croisé devant left, but then goes croisé derrière right and counter clockwise to croisé derrière left. Did I miss read it?

Ms. Leigh - I typed out a reply describing this....(after your post above)....and I somehow lost that.....(and can't really reconstruct that again at the moment)...Thanks so much. I think I better study my terminology. Practice it further, and ask the teacher when class resumes. This is one of those 'simple' combinations that has so much to it that sorting it out - and for me at least describing it in writing just may not be feasible at this point.

What you describe above sounds like what I mean but I need to work on this at some more length............ It is much more a brain teaser w/ terminology, and changes in direction than I realized even when doing the combination in class. Now trying to reconstruct it I realize it is not "simple". If I can sort out my question better, I will post further...........Thanks again --

• Administrators

Ludmilla, I don't think you need to write out the whole combination, unless it has some changes in direction other than changing from front R to front L and back R to back L, it is quite a normal thing. You move from 11:00 to 1:00, stay at 1:00 for the back R and then change back to 11:00. :)

Ms. Leigh -- That is perfect -- Thank you very much!! Your description answers just what I was puzzling over! I can visualize it now! It makes sense! This is how happy I am to have this puzzle solved!!!! :huepfen::clapping::huepfen: Ludmilla

• Administrators

So glad that worked for you, Ludmilla! :)