Ballet Talk for Dancers

I want to learn Ballet

Mikaelalala

I am 16 years old, and I would really like to learn ballet, and learn to dance on pointe. I took ballet when I was little and I have danced various dance forms until I was 12. I am very flexible, however I am not looking to 'go-pro', but I would like to be able to preform. Am I to old to start? And if I did, is it to late to learn pointe?

In addition, if anyone has any good ballet stretches and/or exercises, that would be great!
  • Administrators

Hello Mikaelalala, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers!

It is never too late to begin ballet classes. :). And, since you had some training before you might not have to start in total beginning classes. As for pointe work, that could happen too, eventually, but just don't be in a hurry! You will need several classes a week in technique for two or three years, and then it will depend on your facility, which includes alignment, rotation, and of course the strength and flexibility of your feet. So, be patient and get the training!

We do not prescribe stretches or exercises here, as we cannot see you. Those need to be taught to you by your teacher.

Alright, thank you so much!!
I did have one question, and that is, does it usually take about two years to move to pointe, or is it possible (if I put in enough work) to be able to begin pointe with in a year?

• Administrators

That would depend on the quality and quantity of your previous training, how much training you will have now, and of course the other things I mentioned before in terms of your physical facility.

• 2 weeks later...

I started ballet at age 13 and about half a year later, I went on pointe!! Now I'm 14 and have caught up to my age group. Starting late, you will advance quicker than if you were 3 years old

• Administrators

balletpassionforpointe, I know you want to be encouraging, however, what you believe to have worked for you is not necessarily something that will work the same way for others. Most schools do not have enough hours of training for beginning level students to provide them with the knowledge and skills needed for pointe work. Even if they had daily classes for those 6 months they would not have all of the ballet education needed, nor be ready technically or physically for pointe work.

There are so many things to be considered in terms of both pointe work and "catching up to one's peers", and one needs to know the quality and quantity of training and the physical facility of the student. Therefore we can encourage, but we certainly cannot tell someone they can do it quicker if they start later. The years between 10 and 13-14 are very critical years in the training of a dancer. And ballet is a long and slow process to learn it right.

I agree with you, but what I am saying is that as a 16 year old, she will be able to pick up corrections, pay attention better and lots more than a beginning toddler could.

• Administrators

Well, first of all 3 is not even considered taking ballet. Toddlers might play with creative movement, but one is not really studying ballet until 6 or 7. I do not count the pre-ballet years. And secondly, yes, she will understand corrections, and hopefully pay more attention, but that does not necessarily mean that she will execute at the same level. In the case of this poster, since she has had some prior training, she might be able to move up the ranks sooner than someone who had no training, but in terms of her questions about pointe work and performing, see my first response, above. :)

Thank you to everyone who has answered my question!!! :)