Ballet Talk for Dancers

Achilles tendon pain?

myrrha

A few days ago my 10 yo DD started complaining of mild pain to her right foot/leg at the achilles tendon area. She has 3 ballet classes (2 hours) , 1 jazz( 1 hour) and 1 contemporary class (1hour) per week and also has been rehearsing 2 times a week for 1 1/2 to 2 hours each time for an upcoming performance, she is not on pointe. The pain is very mild, it has only been bothering her at the end of a class, there is no swelling at all. Is pain in that area usually due to overuse and is it safe to allow her to continue to dance on it? My DD does not want to miss her performance that is coming up in 2 weeks.

• Administrators

Pain in this area is usually an overuse, but it can also be caused by other things we do, which may or may not be dance related. Running and sports, for instance. It can also be caused by improper technique. What I am saying is that we cannot know the cause, nor the diagnosis, and therefore cannot possibly say that it is safe or not to continue to dance on it. However, whether it is the Achilles tendon or something else, it is highly unlikely to heal as long there is continued stress placed on it.