Ballet Talk for Dancers

Tights for "between" boys/mens sizes?

abbey

My son seems, very suddenly, to have shot up out of the boys size ranges, but he hasn't filled in enough for men's sizes. This seems to be an issue for shirts and tights both, but it's worse with tights. Everything seems to fall down, 'cause they're either too short or too wide (or both). Yes, we can sew on suspenders and elastics, but those can only do so much.

I know there are brands we haven't tried yet since I have to order pretty much everything. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend brands that are likely to be longest / slimmest? He has outgrown the M Stevens boys XL tights, but when I look at the adult size recommendations, the weight range starts at about 40lbs heavier than he is. He's not quite as tall as they say either, but ... maybe his legs are disproportionately long? Capezio mens size mediums are the closest we've got, but we don't love the material. Body Wrapper seems to short and wide.

Are there other brands we should try? He's about 5'3" and maybe xy-xx lbs, but I notice his waist is a little higher than his dad's (and he's 5'6").

He leaves for SI soon, but he grew so much towards the end of the year, I'm scrambling to get him outfitted for five weeks away! :)

Edited by dancemaven
BT4D policy regarding weight disclosure.

My son went through this same issue recently and we just went from the mstevens yxl to a small with no issues at all. I would buy one pair and see what he thinks. Good luck!

We have this problem too (5'10") and x lbs, all legs. I am waiting for a pair of Mirella tights (mens size medium) which sound like they should do the job. They have a sizing scale which seems reasonable. His male teacher highly recommends the Mirella tights so fingers crossed. As a side note I ordered these though getdancer.com about 6 weeks ago and am still waiting!! Admittedly we are in Australia but REALLY!!! :wallbash:

Edited by dancemaven
BT4D policy regarding weight disclosure.

Your son sounds about the same height/weight my son was last year. At that point, he moved from the Boys sizes into the Small Men's size MStevens without any size gaps for his length. Waist size was a problem though and it was hard to keep the tights hitched up. His ballet teacher told us to sew white or nude colored elastic suspender straps onto his tights. The elastic straps hold the tights up high (past his waist) and then he wears his shirt over the straps. It works really well, and my son really likes it.

Here's a pic off the internet that shows suspenders on tights: http://www.chacott-jp.com/e/category/ballet/ba229_6328-31303.html This pic shows the shirt under the suspenders, but my son prefers his shirt over them.

Boysdancetoo.com created its own sizing chart for MStevens tights that is very accurate. I'd check there first.

• 4 weeks later...
magnoliaplum

Our school had Motionwear tights for the boys this year, and they were fantastic. My son has to wear an elastic with them, but they don't sag anywhere, and have held up quite well. They are style number #7130 and are actually called leggings. Style #7205 looks similar, and they are called tight pants. The Motionwear tights seem thicker and softer than the M Stevens tights he's had before, and also sturdier. His M Stevens tights got holes in the knees and the elastic popped out of the waist band mid-year, so we had to re-sew.

hi magnoliaplum- do the Motionwear tights have feet?