Ballet Talk for Dancers

Arrrrrrgh! No more classes until mid August!

I am so frustrated - the centre where I take morning classes has a summer course on and our adult classes have been cancelled! When they start back again, I'm abroad on holiday, so no more classes until mid August for me. At my age that's too long to be off - I suppose I'll have to start a regime of exercise each morning to keep me from seizing up into a stiff plank of wood!

Ah I feel your pain! My school is having two weeks holidays and that's too much for me - I couldn't bear until August! I'm off to do my own classes at the studio from tomorrow, and yes lots of supplementary training from the DVD player!! Just shout out if you need inspiration or resources :)

I also feel for you!

If you are used to taking class often, then that is a wonderful "addiction".

Although I never have regular classes I can attend, living as I do in a small city and being the only ballet teacher for adults around. :)

But, when I do get to a real, big city where there are open classes for adults, I do try to go and do what I can and it is wonderful! I find myself grinning throughout!

Too bad the ol' body does not do as I ask of it anymore, but - oh, well. There is only one alternative to getting old, and am not ready for that yet. ;)

-d-

Hang in there! Giving yourself class is not always fun or inspirational, but at least you know how!

Our normal classes have stopped now too - but fortunately we've moved straight into a summer programme so apart from being a slightly different time, and a more mixed group of abilities we still get to go along! Woohoo! :)

The school I've been taking classes at is on a summer break as well, but I found another (more ballet-centric) school that is offering some summer classes for teens/adults, so I'm going to try those and see how it goes. They offer many more ballet classes during the week, so I might move my ballet activities there if I like the school/classes, and keep taking tap at the other place. I hope there isn't some unspoken rule against hopping around to different schools I'm not aware of ;)

Miss Persistent--I'm curious, what sort of DVD resources do you use/recommend? The ballet school I'm looking at does take a two week break right before starting into their normal schedule when the school year starts in August, so I might need some supplemental exercise when that happens to keep in dance shape.

Miss Persistent--I'm curious, what sort of DVD resources do you use/recommend? The ballet school I'm looking at does take a two week break right before starting into their normal schedule when the school year starts in August, so I might need some supplemental exercise when that happens to keep in dance shape.

Morninglorie, the list is looooooooooong ;) Over the years I have just collected a whole bunch of books/DVD's (they used to be VHS! Gasp!) and just general knowlwdge about almost every ballet subject under the sun. Everything from floorbarre's to flexibility to classes on DVD... call me a pack-rat with my hand-written notes but you never know when something might help! There are some really good resources in the Books/DVD forum http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showforum=25 Some of my personal favourites are a good Finis Jung class DVD, almost anything by Lisa Howell, and a good old class from 100 lessons to challenge the brain and body...

Morninglorie, the list is looooooooooong ;) Over the years I have just collected a whole bunch of books/DVD's (they used to be VHS! Gasp!) and just general knowlwdge about almost every ballet subject under the sun. Everything from floorbarre's to flexibility to classes on DVD... call me a pack-rat with my hand-written notes but you never know when something might help! There are some really good resources in the Books/DVD forum http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showforum=25 Some of my personal favourites are a good Finis Jung class DVD, almost anything by Lisa Howell, and a good old class from 100 lessons to challenge the brain and body...

Ohhh, I have only briefly wandered into the Books/DVD forum because it seemed like there was a lot of stuff to go through... I'll take the time and wander through there, as well as checking out your faves. I've already entrenched myself in Lisa Howell's blog/webpage reading articles. Thank you! :D I suspect Amazon is going to love me over the next few weeks. :whistling: