Ballet Talk for Dancers

Keeping warm

RedRidingHood

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips of keeping warm in class... We are not generally allowed to wear jumpers or cross-overs because exams are in a few weeks. Of course, barre is the ultimate warm up but we sometimes only do half of barre in order to practise other exercises. Should I warm up before ballet or go early to the studio and warm up? or is there something else that I can do... (I'm never ready for winter and struggle even when it's not very cold :wacko: ) Thankyou!

• Administrators

I do not like the idea of not doing a complete barre before center work, ever, and certainly not when it is cold weather. :( Definitely warm up before the class starts, and as much as possible keep moving, don't sit around before class. When I have limited time before a rehearsal I just keep the class simple and moving very quickly, doing everything that needs to be done to fully prepare the dancers and not spending any time on corrections or explanations.

I'm a quite new member here, so please let me know if this post is allowed. I met with a physical therapist last week who showed us a series of lunges, plies, and non-flexibility-oriented stretches to use before class. If yo could talk with a PT, they will give you similar advice. But as Victoria Leigh said, it is a must to warm up before class begins. Is this post okay?

• Administrators

It's okay, Idoballet, however, one should be able to get the right things to do from their teacher. And then it is also up to the teacher to make sure that the students are properly warmed up before doing center work or rehearsing. If that is not happening I would let the teacher know or find a new teacher.

Thankyou Miss Leigh and Idoballet for your responses. I think the only course to take is to thoroughly warm up before class or perhaps mention to the teacher that I'm still cold and could we do another exercise before moving into centre. :sleep:

Hi RedRidingHood! I am fairly new to this board but what I have gathered each summer from going away to a summer program is the same. We have like pilates and yoga and such and they always says take those stretches and do those to get you properly warmed up before class. You should never just jump down into a spilt in the middle of winter when you are cold. You should warm your muscles up before stretching so then you will get more out of the class in general :) hope this helps!

Thankyou dancingdiva101! Yes I think doing class when your cold is downright dangerous, thanks for commenting and welcome to BT4D :D :D