Ballet Talk for Dancers

boys/ mens tights

Thyme

as always thank you for taking the time to solve my problem :whistling: . Boy, $43.00 for shipping! I think I will look closer to home but I really appreciate the heads up on the brands. Thanks again!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thyme

• bluemountain

• slhogan

• SMTA

I'm glad someone pointed out that Tutu will pre-sew elastic suspenders on to the tights. That's helpful to know!

Their international shipping rates are high, but go down with larger orders. For example-- For men's tights, it costs $43 to ship a single pair of tights. But, it's $48 to ship 2, $54 to ship 3-4, and $59 to ship 5-6 pairs. So,, if you're ordering 5 pairs of men's tights (the amount that I usually get my son), that's $37/pair ($25 + $12 shipping). A bit high, but not too terrible.

porselli in the uk (https://dancewear.co.uk/) sell intermezzo which DS likes the best- footed and quite cottony, and not at all see through.... He hates MStevens as he thinks they are too shiny and synthetic (sweaty). They don't advertise international shipping rates yet but if you call them they will quote you and do international shipping- they sent 4 pairs tights to DS from UK to USA and it cost me £11 sterling, So may be worth asking them about Australia as I thought that was pretty reasonable.

DS cheekily gets his wardrobe dept to sew on the elastic suspenders. Re sizing he is 5ft 11.5" and a relatively slim build and the size that fits him is the adult large (according to their sizing info he should be XL but we tried them and although they are ok he should definitely be the size down from that).

Hope this helps

bluemountain

CeliB, thank you for the link! My son can't stand MStevens as well. So far we were able to get away with footless leggings, but soon he will need the footed ones. Can you please tell me how are their sizes, do they pretty much match the MStevens'?

My son is 17 and has been wearing M. Stevens for a couple years. he really likes them and won't wear anything else now. He won't wear anything that appears "see through" so I guess that isn't a problem for him now.

The Sansha Signature Sawyer tights with the suspenders already on them are my son's tights of choice. You can't see through them at all. At almost 6' and skinny as a rail, he prefers the largest size they make so they "look right in the hiney area". I also make them into convertables by cutting a slit on the bottom of the foot. He wears a size 14 street shoe and has no problems getting these to fit his feet.

sorry for slow reply- i'm not sure as have never bought him MStevens myself (he had a pair bought for him by his ballet teacher and I never did find out what size they were). But DS is a touch under 6 foot and large would be the best size for him. When I spoke to the lady at Porselli she suggested extra large (which is what matched their website guide) so this is what we got and he does wear them but they are quite a bit too big to be honest- so I would say the sizing on their website is very generous.....

hope this helps!

CeliB, thank you for the link! My son can't stand MStevens as well. So far we were able to get away with footless leggings, but soon he will need the footed ones. Can you please tell me how are their sizes, do they pretty much match the MStevens'?

• 4 weeks later...
bluemountain

Can somebody please recommend the brand of tights that are better fit for skinny boys? My son is 12, we have bodywrappers nylon tights size 11-12 and they are almost twice as wide on his legs and thighs as they should be (he is very skinny and hasn't started to actively grow yet).

Have you tried MStevens or Sansha?

bluemountain

We had footless tights from MStevens, they were tighter, but they were much too long and they were a bit see-through. Sansha we haven't tried. And Repetto we haven't tried yet.

My 14yo skinny DS loves his new MS Stevens footed tights. If you email boysdancetoo from their website I found them incredibly helpful sorting out a size. They took his measurements and helped me a great deal. We had all the same troubles- I really suggest taking to them.

bluemountain

Thank you, Clara 76 and Thyme! I want to try both, their cotton/poly and milliskin kind.

DS has completely fallen in love with the milliskin type 'because they are so tight on my legs mom!' They also seem very opaque (our original reason for choosing them was for stage). Good luck! Sarah at boysdancetoo is extremely helpful and good to work with.

bluemountain

Exactly what we need :). I was watching my DS yesterday on stage and thinking: I have to find better fitted tights for him ASAP :).

funny you should say that bluemountain because I was just watching my DS on stage today and was thinking I need to get him a dance belt with a smoother line in the front. He wears Bloch and these have thick seams at the front- basically to the side. His new MSTevens milliskins show them very clearly and ruin the look. They are definitely opaque but the slight shininess shows EVERY LINE! Has anyone solved this well??