Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pose Rotation with Developpe?

emmypointe

I am currently doing the RAD Advanced 2 grade, and there is a 'vocabulary' of steps that every dancer doing the grade it required to be able to do. I have learned most of the steps of the vocabulary, but I was going through the list and I wanted to tick off the ones I had already learned. I came across a step called 'pose rotation with developpe', I've never heard of this step before. I was wondering if someone could tell me how this step would be executed and if it may be called something else (e.g., by different methods), as I may have already learned it. Also there is a step 'Rotation releve with developpe en pointe'. I was wondering the same things about this step. Thank you!

• Administrators

Emmy, I really do not know these exact terms, however, it sounds to me like the retirè position on the way to a dèvelopé.

• Administrators

An RAD teacher has offered her help here and told me that some terminology seems to be unique to RAD. They use "rotation" to describe a fouetté en dedans.

• Administrators

And another RAD teacher has sent me this information:

"The easiest example I can think of is the turning releve develope step in the La Bayadere Shades variation that starts with the 4 cabrioles - then across the front she does plie, releve with develope and a half turn and tombe - that is a "Rotation releve with develope" in RAD. A 'Pose rotation develope' is where the dancer steps directly on to pointe and then essentially performs the second half of the previous step the same, except you end up facing the direction you started. I can't think of a repertoire example off the top of my head sorry! I couldn't find it in Gretchen Ward Warren - I'm not sure what they would be called in any other syllabus."

Thank you so much!! I agree RAD does have some very unique (-and unusual!) names for some of their steps! Thank you again!

Also, if I could ask one more question, there is a step called 'sissonnes doubles with developpe' and there is another called 'sissonnes developpe'. This is also RAD terminology, but if you could, can you explain the difference between the steps?

• Administrators

Well, a sissonne dévelopé is simply a sissone execute with an unfolding of the extended leg instead of opening it straight. That one is not limited to RAD. :)

The sissonne doublé is a term of the French school which is a sissonne ouvert to the side, followed by a coupé and an assemblé. The last two actions can be either over or under. So, basically, it is 3 steps put together and given a name. :)