Ballet Talk for Dancers

Performance Photos & Videos

We love to dance. We love to perform and I am sure we love to show off too. And there's nothing wrong with that because most of us love to watch others perform just as much! I for one adore looking at other people's dance performance photos.

Let's share links to our performance videos and photo albums. Moderators, correct me if I am wrong, but I guess posting such links should be fine in this forum as long as we don't break the rule of "no videos of young dancers".

Believe it or not, as much as I love performing and have eagerness and little fear when it comes to being onstage, I seem to have trepidation when it comes to sharing photos or videos of myself on this board. It's a weird personal paranoia, but I think since we're always advising or criticizing or breaking things down for each other, I am gripped with apprehension of showing myself to the board!

Sorry, TemptressToo, our policy is that we can't allow photos posted straight to the board -- it slows it down and uses up too much bandwidth. But it's fine to give us a link to an online album, such as PhotoBucket. Just make sure you're comfortable with your privacy settings.

And please make sure that the friends and teachers in your photos/videos are comfortable having them posted publicly. I would be angry if someone posted photos of me all over the place without my permission.

• Administrators

Hold up on this please. We are going to discuss allowing even links to personal photos and videos.I will get back to you by tomorrow.

Any links to photos I would post would be to photos on our school website's gallery that's publicly viewable. Anyone visiting the site can see the photos. All our students are made to sign photographic release forms. I think those are pretty standard.

My photos are from public "pre-recital" candids...and my video was taped with everyone's consent, knowledge it would be posted to Youtube, and has been public and available for viewing there for over two years.

• Administrators

We are discussing it.

• Administrators

Okay, we have discussed. Sorry it took longer than I said it would.

The decision is that because we have not allowed links to personal photos, videos or blogs before, and they would not add to our educational discussions here, but more likely turn it into another social network, we are not going to allow it. There are so many ways out there to display your personal photos and videos that we do not feel that it should be necessary here. The only photo links (not videos) that will be allowed are the ones for our pointe shoe experts to be able to advise on fittings, and specific technical issues that our Teacher Moderators need to see in order to better help a student.