Ballet Talk for Dancers

Found an adult beginner summer intensive!

NoTwoSnowflakes

Who woulda thunk it?

It's not quite an intensive, I guess, in that it's not all day, but it's a month, with class four times a week, building up with the class (rather than just an open class where the class itself doesn't really progress).

I just finished the third week, and it's been very enlightening. There's a distinct pace to the progress, and a very strong emphasis on overall flexibility and strength.

For me, the method changed since I'm not at my home school. Or, for that matter, my home continent (we're in Europe for the summer). Arms and certain moves have changed, and the class is not taught in English. I'm pretty much doing ok, though my comprehension level tanks as soon as I'm out of breath. Apparently I can either be largely fluent in a foreign language OR I can engage in rigorous physical activity. Apparently I don't think I have enough oxygen for both!

The teacher speaks very softly and gives a lot of technical correction and I'm not sure I always understand, but I'm getting there. She is patient and will repeat for me if I need it.

Anyway, I have gotten perceptibly stronger, and I am no longer totally scared to do a pirouette, haha. Today I actually managed to turn. In a circle. On one foot. And it ended exactly 360 degrees past where it started. I was utterly stunned to be looking at myself straight forward in the mirror rather than having to scramble to find my reflection after I spot. there I was. Standing en face, post pirouette! I must have looked totally surprised because the teacher laughed.

Edited by NoTwoSnowflakes

Anyway, I have gotten perceptibly stronger, and I am no longer totally scared to do a pirouette, haha. Today I actually managed to turn. In a circle. On one foot. And it ended exactly 360 degrees past where it started. I was utterly stunned to be looking at myself straight forward in the mirror rather than having to scramble to find my reflection after I spot. there I was. Standing en face, post pirouette! I must have looked totally surprised because the teacher laughed.

:clapping:

Good on ya!

• 5 weeks later...

That sunds just wonderful. I would revel in it while youy have it. Enjoy the surprised look. It beats being told (with a laugh) after doing a bunch of chaine turns that you looked terrified the whole time.

"Today I actually managed to turn. In a circle. On one foot. And it ended exactly 360 degrees past where it started. I was utterly stunned to be looking at myself straight forward in the mirror rather than having to scramble to find my reflection after I spot. there I was. Standing en face, post pirouette! I must have looked totally surprised because the teacher laughed. "

What a great description! Enjoy your en face triumph!

• 4 weeks later...

If you ever find yourself in Australia the Sydney Ballet Intensive runs several times a year and has an absolute beginners course.