Ballet Talk for Dancers

Would You Do This?

Guest Pas de Quoi

Guest Pas de Quoi

Hello Dancers:

We are all adults here - and those of us who choose to take class expect to pay for that class, right? It has happened now several times that new students have come to try a class I am teaching. At one particular studio, there is not always a person at the front desk when I am teaching. I handle paperwork and payment after class, as I am teaching another semi-private class before the adult class and cannot do this before class. The prospective students have left class early (level was not right or another reason - that is fine) and have NOT made any attempt to pay for the class. They have just left.

Studio space costs money and my time is not free either. In my opinion that is pretty darned unprofessional and unethical. :devil:

No, of course not! I've missed the window to punch my class card once or twice, and I've always punched twice the next time!

Maybe you could try taking payment (and contact information) from new dancers between barre and centre? You could make an announcement at the start of class (when you see new faces in the crowd) saying that you want to learn the names of all the new students after barre or something like that.

Pas de Quoi -

Handling this before class seems to me a bit smoother than during class, (I am a student), so would you be able to trust the money-collecting and name-listing to a very reliable student there who is prompt and early to class?

if not, then certainly, getting people after barre/before center is very wise if people are ducking out without paying toward the end of class. :yucky:

We do a "try the first class free" system, and haven't really had a ducking out early issue yet. However, in Italy, we always did pay between barre and center too, and I found that helps a lot.

It's bad behaviour. Leaving class early, unless injured, is bad behaviour, as is not paying. If I had to leave a class early, I'd tell the teacher beforehand & give my reason. I would have to stop myself curtseying before I left! (ingrained from childhood habits).

One of the classes I have taken regularly is organised by a student in the class. She does a very quick check on names & payment just before barre starts. I think your best bet is to greet new students at the start, and tell them you'll get their details between barre & centre. Ideally, can you reschedule the private, so it starts & ends 5 minutes earlier?

Certainly, at my studio, you have to fill in all sorts of paperwork -- name, address, email, next of kin, etc -- before you can go into start a new class.

It's bad behaviour. Leaving class early, unless injured, is bad behaviour, as is not paying. If I had to leave a class early, I'd tell the teacher beforehand & give my reason. I would have to stop myself curtseying before I left! (ingrained from childhood habits).

I'm with you there Redbookish - I still curtsy if I have to leave early! (And at the end of class anyway...!)

IA very frustrating situation Pas de Quoi! like the idea of making contact with the new student and telling them you will get their details between barre/center - that way they know they've been noticed! I suppose even if you didn't exchange money during class, you would atleast have some basic details to follow up. But overall, it is really a little rude... I suppose though not everyone is as generous and honest as we hope.

Is there not a front staff that should be taking care of this? I know in this world not everything is perfect: but; it should not be a teachers resonsibitly to collect checks.

As an AD, I would never expect my teachers to make sure people paid.

Guest Blossoming ballerina

I help out at our studio. Collecting money and punching cards.

I write each reasons name down and the teacher knows who has paid.

Maybe you could ask a reliable student to help out. Or do the whole transactin think between barre and centre as suggested in a previous post.

We pay last class of month for all following month classes, nothing these days surprises me that people just walk away with not paying. Totally wrong

How about handling this as a "health & safety" measure? You need to have name and contact details if students haven't given them to front desk, in case of accident. Of course it is wrong not to pay, so I agree with others suggestions that you should handle it between barre and centre if there isn't time before class.

Guest Pas de Quoi

Hi all: Thank you for your suggestions!!! I agree that teachers should not have to handle these details and well meaning students really should not be called upon to do this either. The situation is not ideal. I think perhaps having a "new student" package of forms, etc. in the classroom for just these occasions might work, as well as having a sign-in sheet, to keep track of who is in class. I have a really hard time taking care of these details during a class I am teaching - my focus is primarily on the lesson at hand and I don't want to take time away from my students to do administrative tasks. Most often, new students do stay to finish the class and are quite happy to fill out forms and give payment.

I have to say ... in the most recent incident, the prospective student called the studio and asked to be called by me regarding the level of the class she then attended. We had a nice phone conversation about the class - the level of the work, the dancing history of the other members of this class, etc. She and I introduced ourselves before class. And then, after barre, she just left. I am still amazed at how someone could assume a ballet class doesn't need to be paid for. :ermm:

That's so strange...did she think class ended after barre? Maybe she only did barre in previous classes? :nixweiss:

At any rate, it's not okay to receive a service and not pay. If I were taking a class and the level wasn't right, I would do what I could and change to a different class the next time--and not expect to get the "incorrect" class for free; and if there was no one to pay/have me sign forms beforehand, I would be sure to ask about it after class. Maybe this student is not used to this kind of operating procedure?

Guest Pas de Quoi

Yes - Very strange. I can't imagine she would think the class ended after barre, as all the other students were stretching while watching me present the center floor tendu/pirouette combination.

I do know that where she has been taking class, the technique level is much below what we are doing in this class. From what the website indicates, in that studio, all the classes are 55 minutes long

Maybe she was embarrassed and felt like she couldn't hang? We've had students that sit out because they feel it's too much, but they stay and watch. I've also had some that left without telling the teacher, so as not to disturb them, but did talk to the receptionist after getting dressed so I guess this doesn't count. Now at night, we don't always have a receptionist, but I haven't experienced this when we did not have a receptionist.

Again, we've got a papertrail so deep it's not even funny. Before stepping foot into class, we have the name, number, info, do not sue us if you fall, doctor, insurance info... all of it, so maybe that's why it doesn't really happen.