Ballet Talk for Dancers

Eglevsky Ballet School

Hi

I am very interested in this program (pre-pro level) and was wondering if some one has any first hand information? I know Lazlo Berdo took over and I've heard only good things about him.

I would be very greatfull for any information about the school, alumni, teaching style or also where stundents go that studyed with Lazlo?

Thank you in advance.

I am the parent of a dancer. I can't provide first hand information about the year-round classes at Eglevsky, but my son is currently in the last week of Eglevsky's four-week summer intensive, so I can give you some insights that may help. Since this is Mr. Berdo's first year as AD, there will be changes and no doubt some bugs that will need to be worked out, but I am very impressed with the summer program, and I think it is probably a good indicator of the level of training that year-round students can expect. The schedule is intense, and the faculty are top-notch. The kids have mostly been taught by Mr. Berdo and his year-round staff, though there have also been a variety of guest teachers. I have observed 3 classes over the course of 3 weeks, and I was pleased to note that every student received careful attention and correction. Nobody seemed to fall through the cracks, even when (on one occasion) levels were combined into one large class. I have also seen across-the-board improvement over 3 weeks, not only in my son's dancing, but in the other students. They seem very focused, and just about everybody comes out of class with a smile.

The new studios are very nice, and my son says the floors are very comfortable to dance on.

My son has also studied with Mr. Berdo at CPYB. He is a very energetic teacher with a marvellous eye for artistry and technique. I think he will do great things with Eglevsky.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Edited by arkenstone

I recommended the summer program to a friend of mine for her dd. I have nothing but the highest regard for Laszlo Berdo, and with the faculty he had join him for the summer program, I knew it would be a good one. My friend has been very pleased with the quality of classes and intensity of the program this summer. I am anxious to see what Laszlo does with his year-round program. My ds also studied quite intensively with Laszlo at CPYB and, in many ways, Laszlo was one of the strongest influences on his technique. I am hoping for much success for Laszlo and Eglevsky Ballet School.

• 1 year later...

Eglevsky Ballet is excited to welcome Maurice Brandon Curry as our new Executive Artistic Director. Mr. Curry is the Former Chairperson of Dance at Usdan and former director of Joffrey Ballet School. We are are also thrilled to announce Ashley Tuttle, former principal with ABT, as our first Artist-in-Residence for the 2015/16 year. Janice Berringer, author of "The Pointe Book", will also be joining our staff for the 2105/16 school year. For more information about Eglevsky, please visit our website, eglevskyballet.org, like us on FB and follow us on Instagram.