Ballet Talk for Dancers

Double Pirouettes

Josie:)

Hi,

I hope to move up a level at my dance studio but in order to do so I need to land a double pirouette,which is something that I'm struggling with. I have done it a few times but I can't do it consistently. After the first turn I tend to slow down and lose my balance. I was wondering if there are any excercises I can do to help me in my double pirouettes.

Josie:)

• Administrators

You are probably not using your back muscles to generate the force for two turns, and most likely not spotting the second turn. Practice spotting, and if your teacher has not taught you how to use your back muscles, then ask for help. Correcting pirouettes really cannot be done without seeing what you are doing...or not doing. :wink:

In the meantime, practice the relevé and balance with 1/4 turns, then 1/2 turns until you can do a single and not think about "landing", because that sounds like you are busy coming down at the end of the turn instead of going up in order to place the retiré leg in 5th or 4th position.

If you go through this forum you will find many, many topics on pirouettes! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Josie, I had to remove that post that was above yours because young dancers are not allowed to give advice here. While the thoughts were basically not wrong, there is a way of explaining them that is helpful, and sometimes ways that are misleading. Sharing one's anecdotal experience is fine, but actually giving advice is not.

• Administrators

New Members, PLEASE read before posting! I just removed another post which did exactly the same thing as the post above that was removed and followed by my explanation of why it was removed.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm having the same sort of problem. I've basically got doubles, but as soon as I try for triples I just fall over... And sometimes that happens with doubles too, though not as often. Sometimes I can get perfect triples, and once I did a quadruple, but nothing is consistent and I was wondering if there was any advice anyone could give. Thanks!

• Administrators

Teacup, I know you are new, so you probably have not read a lot of topics yet. Please check my post above, and then read through the topics on this forum, as we have tons of threads on pirouettes! Advice is given only by our faculty of Teacher Moderators, and I think you will find lots and lots of information on all aspects of pirouettes! :)

Hi, I was wondering why some days are really good days for turning and others aren't. Sometimes I can do a good double pirouette, and once in a while a triple, and sometimes I can't even do a double on my good side. Does it have to do with how well I did on barre?

Sometimes it's hormones and sometimes it's growth and sometimes, it's just an off day. Best thing to do is to shrug it off, get some sleep, eat right, and try again the next day!