Ballet Talk for Dancers

A Question About Ballet Hours

backstagemom

I realize that there is a post about this, but I'm confused about something. If a 16 year old is getting 20-25 hours of class a week, does that numbwe of hours include pointe and specialties like pas, character, variations, or is it in addition to the number of hours (bumping up to 30 or more hours a week)?

• Administrators

While it will vary a bit in different programs, generally one would expect a pre-pro student of 16 to have 2.5 hours per day of ballet and point. Additional hours should be the other dance forms such as modern, jazz, or character, or a theory class such as ballet history, music study, maybe acting. Pas de deux and variations can be included in the ballet hours as a second class, like pointe, following the technique class, as both are done on pointe.

Phew! I really did misunderstand. DD will have about 25 hours of dance a week + rehearsals (and school). I feel much better now. I can't imagine fitting in more. I'm still not sure where we are going to fit in Pilates.