Ballet Talk for Dancers

Television: Breaking Pointe on the CW-Season 2

Momof3darlings

learningdance

I thought it had gone down. . . Some of the scenes were so phony. The one where Zach was all upset at the party about Beckanne's relationship and was being consoled by Allison and Rex was dumb. In fact, it was so fake that Allison and Rex were laughing. And frankly how silly is Beckanne this rising star for allowing her reputation to be sullied with boy drama, flirting in front of her boyfriend, and general immaturity. It's actually reminiscent of the some of the Allison and Rex scenarios. Tell the producers NO Beckanne. It's a documentary. . they can't really tell you what to do. I actually like the "shy Beckanne."

Zack and his crazy PDA performance was also insane. The body shots were silly. .. Dancers do drink and they do have a right to party but they are also emerging professionals and wow. . they need to learn how to protect their reputations. . BRAVO to the BW dancers who opted out of this . . .smart move.

I was more interested in Ronnie's injury and the BW II folks vying for spots (and their strategies.). Rudd's management of BW II. Allison's decision to leave ballet. FYI don't find her the least bit redeeming this season. Wouldn't want to be in a room with her for more than 5 min. She is sour.

I liked watching the rehearsals of the co and then the rehearsals of BWII. You could really see the difference.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very disappointing season opener, lost interest with all the immature behavior being shown. Couldn't help but wonder how reputations could be impacted if this type of behavior continues to be the focus of the show. From watching last night last night's episode, I know which dancer BWII I would not promote.

learningdance

I was very surprised to see BW2 (basically 18 year olds) partying with the company members. I assume this was for the sake of cameras.

I doubt it was for the sake of the camera. Like it or not 1000s of kids this age do. Think about college. I think that it is fairly typical for people in this age bracket.

Not only was I disappointed at the lack of dancing in the show, the camera shots of the actual dancing was horrible. (at least in the beginning of the show because it was so boring to me I fell asleep 20 min into it)

Beckanne Sisk is IDOLIZED by my DD and her ballet friends. It is unfortunate to see her (and other underaged BWII dancers) engage in underaged drinking on the show. Yes I know it happens (I have a 19 year old college student) and that is reality, but it should not be encouraged and glorified. The Zach character is cartoonish and ridiculous.

I'm most interested in the Cinderella casting/working with the guest repetiteur, Joshua's story, second company dynamics, and ironically the care and management of Ronnie's injury. Not interested in belly shots.

Much of this was for the cameras. You might be surprised how much of the drama in these "reality" shows is manufactured. I'm sure the company benefits financially from the show. I'm sure they will be hearing many complaints about the portrayal of all thhe partying, not to mention the under age drinking!

Swanchat, I love your list - particulary #3 and especially #4. In this day and age of instant video/twitter/facebook, etc. it is more important than ever that our children realize this.

learningdance

Love it Swanchat and we are going to talk about it tonight. . . . Good idea.

NikkisMamma

I'm glad I read this before sitting down to watch the new season with my 11yo! I will absolutely still let her watch it, but it's good to be prepared. :)

shelbylove86

I'm most interested in the Cinderella casting/working with the guest repetiteur, Joshua's story, second company dynamics, and ironically the care and management of Ronnie's injury. Not interested in belly shots.

I agree with all of this. I stopped watching once the belly shots started!

Unfortunately, I fear we're in the minority. While the producers claim they want to show the inner workings of a real ballet company, we live in a world more attuned to Real Housewives, Jersey Shore and Big Brother.

I believe they can't show a lot of the actual dancing (either due to union issues, copyright issues or both?), but there's more to tell than what we're seeing.

And certainly the producers can stage a party, but they can't force them to drink. I know a lot of people don't want to be set up as role models for younger fans, but - like it or not - Beckanne is a role model. She should have known better.

I was so excited about the return of Breaking Pointe, but after last night and the previews for next week, I am not sure I will continue watching. It seemed full of stereotypes -- over the top gay guy, only black male (in all of SLC it seems according to Adam - really???). My 13 year old daughter really admired Beckanne for her amazing technique and bubbly personality, but once she opened her (potty) mouth, daughter was crushed. What kind of example are you setting for young dancers? More like watching the Jersey Shore. I know Ballet West Academy said they saw a huge rise in the number of applicants for their summer intensive, but wonder if that will continue with the advent of this new season.

love_ballet

In terms of "input" - Mr. Sklute told us yesterday before the show (which was being shown on the big screen in a movie theatre in SLC) that once footage is shot, Ballet West really has no say in how it's put together for the show. I did not hear him speak afterwards to gauge his reaction to this episode.

He also said that the audience they are trying to reach is not those of us who already love ballet. It is intended to reach those who really know nothing about ballet and are the more typical reality show audience.

This first episode sure was a soap opera; nevertheless I expect it will be one of those "guilty pleasures" for me this summer. It was interesting watching the show in that setting - quite a few BW dancers were in the back of the theatre and there sure was some hootin' and hollerin' going on during some of the scenes. Their reactions cracked me up more than the show itself.

I also hope (and expect) there will be more dancing now that this "introduction of the characters" for this season is over. Plenty of time since there will be 10 episodes instead of 6.

Dancergirlmelody

I'll keep watching the rest of the season, but if there are many more crazy party scenes like that I'm just not interested. Like others said, I want to see more actual dancing, casting, the management of BWII, Ronnie's injury, and Joshua (especially because he's from my area and went to my studio for a short time). Hopefully later in the season it will get better when rehearsal schedules won't allow them to go quite as crazy.

If they are trying to reach an audience that knows nothing about ballet why in the world would they want to represent it like this, in such an ugly light! It's a bad reflection on the art as well as Ballet West. It may be a wonderful company with wonderful dancers but that is not who they are showing us they are!

My thoughts exactly, Violet.

Archived