Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

Television: Breaking Pointe on the CW-Season 2

kdintx

I just want to say that I do not completely blame the dancers for the first show of this season. It is the fault of the producers and their dumb minded opinion that they need this type of behavior to sell the show and for it to be successful. Yes, there is partying going on in the dance world just like there is in anything else that involves young people. The producers just felt the need to extend to much of the first show to this topic. Hopefully further episodes will get back to the experience of coping with the ballet world with trying to land lead roles, get contracts into a professional company dealing with injuries and so on. If the show continues in this path of partying, then I suggest young dancers not watch and unfortunately the producers may be in series trouble keeping the show on the air. The dancers involved with the drinking on the show did not show good behavior with their drinking, slurred speech and belly shots. It is really no different than posting pictures of drinking at party's on facebook. The bad thing about all of this is that it is now out there and documented and could come back to haunt you later. I still have a problem with the guy who can't seem to keep from being involved with other dancers business. Its not a problem with him being gay, but he is just too over the top for my taste. Another point to make, is that these dancers get paid to do this show and as we all know, dancers do not make that much money. It's nice for them to have this opportunity to increase their income, but I hope that they all are more careful about ruining their image for young dancers that do look up to them. I still plan to watch the show and I am hoping to see more dancing.

Violet1

The producers would not have had this footage if the dancers didn't behave the way they did. Also remember they were completely aware they were being videoed! I understand this age group is going to party, but even somebody with only a bit of sense would refrain when being filmed for TV. If they want to act a fool and partake in illegal underaged drinking at least do it when a camera is not in you face.

mira

I notice that the BW/BWII rosters for the 2013-2014 season do not include either of the 2 "new" BP BWII characters, Zach and Ian. No idea where they've gone on to.

luvmiballerina

Just looked and Zach is listed as a Corp member for BW.

mira

luvmiballerina - thanks - just saw that.

GretchenStar

Much of the show's drama is centered on who will get the coveted roles in Ballet West's performance of Cinderella, but hasn't this performance already taken place (in February 2013)? A simple Google search will reveal who danced what roles in that performance. Am I missing something here?

No, you're right that the performance already took place and anyone can look up who danced what, but my guess is that the majority of viewers aren't going to go look up that info. It's like when I watch other reality shows like MasterChef - being on the west coast, I could find out who gets booted, but I don't.

I was a little reluctant to go to BW's website (I wanted to look up the other women - aside from Christiana and Beckanne - vying for the role Cinderella) because their website lists 2013-2014 dancers and I didn't want to see who in BWII got contracts with the main company since that's one of the "dramatic" storylines...

Momof3darlings

Well, key might be that last season we had 17 pages of discussion for the ENTIRE season of Breaking Pointe. And this season so far we already have 6 with just one show under our belt. So the 1/4th of the 1st show that contained the dance party has already brought us out of the woodwork a good bit more than last year's opening show did. So, possibly the producers even though we don't like their decisions do in fact know what they are doing to garner reaction. Makes you think huh?

HuckleberryDawg

Momof3darlings, you are so right! They are certainly not producing this show for the edification of mankind, after all. Revenue will always be king. :-)

swanchat

removed by poster

dancemaven

Who really knows what that 'pout' was in reference to? The 'reality' shows edit footage as they see fit. Perhaps Beckanne was unhappy with herself with the last pass or combination she did, but it served the producers' purposes to edit in it another spot for the drama of it all.

I say, give her a break and watch the show as anything BUT a reality show. It simply isn't all that 'real'. :wink: It is not billed as a documentary, after all.

swanchat

removed by poster

Clara 76

And it is where 99.9999999% of dancers start once they've finally received that first professional "contract".

dancemaven

I think the corps comment just reflects that she has been the 'chosen one' all the way through her training career. Perhaps she's never had the pleasure of being 'just one of the corps' and has never valued that position or that support. I think being the 'chosen one' throughout one's training does them a disservice. Those dancers never learn the concept of 'every role is important'. They only learn that they are above it all and are very special.

swanchat

removed by poster

swanchat

removed by poster