Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

Television: Breaking Pointe on the CW-Season 2

pointeprovider

I agree with swanchat that just being one of a few people chosen to even be in the room, learning the role, is an honor and very far from pointless. An absence of gushing is not being hated; it's often just normal. I was glad to see more dancing in this episode, and I hope that they continue with that.

Violet1

Swanchat, I was trying to compose my thoughts of this episode but you said it beautifully!!!!

GretchenStar

So two episodes into Breaking Pointe Season 2 and already a 2nd shot of body shots. At least it wasn't an extended scene like the premiere!

My thoughts about the episode:

1. No talking (Zach and Ian) in ballet class!

2. Josh doing double tours to the knee needs to land with his weight fully on his front foot, so that he doesn't slam his back knee into the ground. I know most of the time, he kind of spun out of the landing (and wouldn't slam his knee into the ground) but it made me cringe each time.

3. Beckanne/ Chase vs Zach/his boyfriend: to use a phrase oft-repeated on reality shows, I'm so done with them! Is there any entertainment value whatsoever? In the first episode, I felt Zach was over the top. I still think he is a bit in this episode, but Beckanne is not helping the situation at all herself. So what if Zach said that B & C broke up? Who cares? It's so junior-high-ish behavior. Also, they (the 3) should stop standing at the same barre if they're going to be distracted during class by their jedi mind tricks.

And then Beckanne's comments about Wendy not liking her - I wish she would stop making everything so personal. Wendy's job is to stage Cinderella and to do so, she needs to look at the dancers and pick out who is right for what role. She doesn't have time to sit there and stroke someone's ego. Yes, it's not fun being pushed into the back corner while the other dancers get to dance full out (who hasn't had that experience) but I wish someone (Adam?) would say something to her.

We all know that reality tv is edited, a lot, but I'm not so sure Beckanne's behaving badly/poorly can be blamed on the editing when she's the one saying certain phrases or sentences. Unless the producers are cutting and pasting her words together...

GretchenStar

I think the corps comment just reflects that she has been the 'chosen one' all the way through her training career. Perhaps she's never had the pleasure of being 'just one of the corps' and has never valued that position or that support. I think being the 'chosen one' throughout one's training does them a disservice. Those dancers never learn the concept of 'every role is important'. They only learn that they are above it all and are very special.

I read an article about the weaknesses in tennis player Andy Roddick's game - he has such a great serve and served aces a lot of the time, but other parts of his game were weaker because he could depend on his great serve and not have to develop other skills. I haven't watched tennis that much to tell if that's true, but it seems possible.

its the mom

I do not watch the show. I watched a bit last season, but dislike the "drama." Prior to BW being offered to do Breaking Pointe, my dk's company was offered the show. The producers came in and followed people around for a bit, and then presented the company members with what they had taped. The company voted a resounding no, once they saw the footage. Both my dks said they misrepresented the dancers. Anyway, I saw this last night on Ian's facebook wall. He had taken it from Breaking Pointe's facebook wall. A "sound-off" from Allison. I would love to respond, but I am not sure it would be worth my effort.

IT'S MY TURN TO SOUND OFF ON BREAKING POINTE SEASON 2...

"Here I am on the inside of a reality TV show. Yes, I put myself in this position and you're damn straight I knew exactly why. Ballet is struggling in the United States. Ballet West is a non profit company like the rest of the companies in the US and since the recession most all companies have struggled financially. We have taken pay cuts, weeks of work cuts, health and dental benefits cuts and experience first hand how hard it is to be a working class citizen like the rest of you wonderful viewers.

We have received such harsh criticism from all facets, dancers and non-dancers alike because of Breaking Pointe and how it has given Ballet a "bad name." Well, at least we have a name now. A year and a half ago I'm sure many of you never knew Ballet West even existed. Do you see where I'm going here? Yes, there is drama on he show. But, please, I hope I don't offend anyone, but we are human and not glass dolls. You have a group of young people who have been working full time and on their own since, most likely, the age of 17. Look back at when you were 17...where were you? We are contributing to the economy and community everyday being responsible young people who allow YOU to escape your worries when watching us on stage for two hours during a performance. Usually on Christmas Eve when we want to so dearly to be with our own families. Have you took that into consideration?

We are a group of people FIGHTING for what we love to do. We felt this show was an opportunity to broaden our audiences because, frankly, the same old song and dance ain't cutting it. I know people feel strong behind the vail of a computer screen, but I am asking you to open your minds. Yes, there might be a petty fight but consider the fact you're watching two TEENAGERS who are simply trying to find their way and place on this earth. People make mistakes. I'm asking you to focus on how hard Miss Beckanne had to work to achieve Soloist in a major ballet company at 20. Rex and Ronnie are majorly injured, facing challenges in a way most couldn't relate to. I'm facing a choice most women come across as WOMEN, a demanding career or a family? Zach and Ian fighting for the single open spot in the company. These are real life experiences.

THERE WILL BE MORE DANCING. We work 8 hours a day in the studio. 8 HOURS A DAY! Dancers get paid so little that most of us need second jobs. You see, soon, on Breaking Pointe, how after a long day of rehearsal Rex and I go off to teach at night. Please, instead of criticizing everything, enjoy the beauty that we bring to TV for virtually no cost to you. And consider that you could help save an art form by donating to your local company or maybe, just maybe, taking the time you do on your computer chair and going out to see a live performance.

I may not agree with everything in the show. I have that right, I feel, because I got it pretty bad from all of you last year. However, I will stand behind our decision to produce this show because we are all artists who will fight for what we love to do. I hope you can say the same."

Allison DeBona

swanchat

removed by poster

Mousling

I didn't watch, but I did read Ms. DeBona's sound off above. The French say succès de scandale... here it is known as "there is no such thing as bad publicity" or as Oscar Wilde says "the only thing worse than people talking about you is people not talking about you."

If Ballet West is ok with that, then well... ok. I guess.

lovemydancers

I just have to point out something for the parents and pre-pro dancers out there who are considering careers in ballet. Allison comments about how dancers are paid so little, have to work second jobs after 8 hours in the studio, etc. That is true for most dancers. But aside from swanchat's point that some dancers don't have the time or the desire for the silliness portrayed in this show, frankly my DD wouldn't and couldn't spend money the way these dancers appear to. Yes, she'll hit Starbucks once in a while, but she can not afford to eat out, drink out or rent cabins with party favors just because someone is having a birthday. Perhaps the BalletWest dancers all have trust funds or something, but I highly doubt it. My daughter loves her second job (teaching in her company's school), but I can tell you that she would not squander away that hard earned money on partying. She truly needs it to make ends meet.

2pointeshoes

I'm sorry that you may have to dance on Christmas Eve, that is the job you have chosen and every ballet dancer knows Nutcracker occurs at Christmas time. As a Nurse, I have had to work every Holiday and holiday eve. along with weekends and shift through the whole night but that is my job. I knew the hours and schedule and wanted to become a Nurse. Please don't complain about holidays you are able to dance.

lsu

This show trivializes everything our kids have worked so hard to achieve. I would rather not air this show than to show the general public a skewed view of a dancer's life. Wasn't Black Swan a lesson that we all had to endure when our friends went to see it? (Talk about discouraging parents from placing their kids into ballet programs!) I pity the poor parents whose kids are in the company as they know at this point how hard their kids are working to stay IN the company. So many of the company members opted out of being filmed but unfortunately the company's reputation will reflect on them by virtue of association. Good luck with that when Adam releases you from your contract and you have to find another job. Allison admitted that she knew when she signed on that her life would be scrutinized, so I don't buy her poor, poor pitiful me letter. There are a ton of dancers that would love to be in her position with a fairly nice paying job. Read Ballet West's contract online. The pay is not horrible. Beckanne is immature and it shows in spades. Ms. Somes was right to say no when Adam pushed for his favorite dancer to be Cinderella. The only thing that Ballet West has gained from this show is notoriety and that is sad.

Having said all this, I will continue to watch as I do enjoy watching a repetiteur working with the dancers. That is the only thing that will keep me coming back. Do yourself a favor, record the episode, fast forward through the drama and watch the clips of dancing. Should only take about 8 minutes or less.

swanchat

removed by poster

lsu

Become a rockstar! Love it Swanchat! :party:

its the mom

Thanks, you have all said what I wanted to say.

MamatoMary

(1) For me, the most interesting part of the show last night was the discussion between Ms. Sommes and Mr. Sklute about casting. I really wish they would have expounded on that a bit more so that dancers (and even non-dancers) would realize that it often isn't the "best" dancer getting the part but rather the "best for the show" dancer. We talk a lot on this board about how often our children aren't chosen for a certain role because they are too short, too tall, too blonde, too brunette, too athletic, not athletic enough, etc. I think this discuss would have provided some interesting insight into the process.

(2) I really don't see how dancers can party that much. Even with parental financial support, I would think they would need that money for basic necessities. I sure wouldn't be sending my child beer money when they need to pay the electric bill. But also, aren't dancers even somewhat concerned with health and nutrition? Last I checked, beer and alcohol are lacking in that area.

(3) Too much drama between Beckanne, Chase and Zach. I blame Chase for this one. He needs to man up and set things right between his best friend and his girlfriend. While people can be possessive, especially at the beginning of a relationship, it's ultimately his responsibility to not neglect either friend if he wants to keep that person as a friend.

(4) Regarding Beckanne and the attitude. I can see that she is frustrated because she isn't getting the roles she wanted. Not sure what happened in the season up to the start of the show, and that many have something to do with her attitude. However, if you're going to be working in a professional field, it's time to grow up. That behavior doesn't work in a dance company OR just about any office setting anywhere. Hopefully she has seen how she is portrayed and has learned from it.

Lady Elle

I think something that everyone has to realize is that we are choosing to watch a REALITY (non) TV SHOW. Allison confirmed what I told my dd. Ballet is underfunded and this is a way to get some money into the company and some recognition, albeit negative attention but our country eats that stuff up! Allison is speaking to the general public that doesn't realize the work that goes into this profession. They are not going to film just boring everyday ho hum stuff. The choice of who is where at the barre is not because of the dancers choosing to stand there. they are placed there. The drama between Beckanne and the two guys is not real it is partially scripted. The producers will stir the pot to get drama going! Our studio was also asked to do a show, they said right up front that they would stage a little outside affair that the owner would have (he and his wife own the studio) and they politely declined. There are situationsf where young dancers dont understand the roles that they will be offered (and not). I think its good to show a dancer who has an attitutde so you can explain to your dk's why NOT to be like that!