Ballet Talk for Dancers
Our Thanks and Gratitude to Everyone Who Has Contributed to Our 2020 Fundraiser <3 <3 <3
Momof3darlings

Television: Breaking Pointe on the CW-Season 2

swanchat

removed by poster

its the mom

I have not watched the show after the first episode, realizing that it would be just drama, and not focused on the "real reality" of ballet. Out of curiosity, and due to the fact that they had seen their own sample company trailers, my dks watched the first one also. They have not watched it since. I agree with Allison that a dance career is difficult. My dks were on their own at a very young age. They essentially gave up their childhood and teenage years to study ballet. They have supported themselves for years. They do not get to see their extended family at holidays. They work all summer long, teaching and performing, rather than taking a much-needed vacation. They have been disappointed about not getting parts, they have resented when others have, they have worked hard to maintain the reputation of their company, they have laughed and cried in rehearsals, etc. I am serious when I say that they would not trade one moment of it. Their company does something like 45 Nutcrackers. Imagine it being the 12th sugar plum or cavalier and it's Christmas Eve, and you have to do it again. I am serious, when I say, my kids will say this - "Well, I don't really want to do this, but it's for the children. It's somebody's first time at The Nutcracker." I just am not hearing that in Allison's rant. I guess I don't hear in her voice that she feels it's an amazing privilege to do what she is doing. Most dancers know going in that it's not an easy life. But they do it anyway. Why? Because they can't live without it.

AND, I guess I am naive to think there is enough drama in the day to day studio happenings to create a show that the general public would all love to watch. I know that's what I would like to see.

swanchat

removed by poster

Lady Elle

And... The ballet world is also filled with some arrogant immature behavior. the behavior that hopefully goes away with experience and age. And sometimes there are girls who, after giving up their childhood, going on to dance with a company only find that its then that they realize this life is not for them. As sad as that is, it does happen. You're right - I think Allison has lost her passion for performing and wants to move on to a more grounded family life (as it would seem from the show and from this statement of hers... Who knows whats actually true). And thats okay - and good for her for stepping back and figuring out what she really wants as then it leaves a spot for girls who want it so very badly. i know a few girls who went off to study ballet full time at a young age, got into companies and were done before they even turned 20. Just burned out. its a tough tough road.

its the mom

I don't think a ballet career and a grounded family life are mutually exclusive. Dk's company has several dancers with children, and what would appear to be a very ground family life, and great life in general. It takes work, but it can be done.

swanchat

removed by poster

Lady Elle

I'm hoping so much that a. My dd has the opportunity to dance with a company, even a smaller one and b. she doesn't loose her perspective and can have a family life too

She seems to have a long way to go comparatively and I honestly don't know if she really understands the work she'll need to put in to get to where she'd like to go! Question here - oh wait... i'll start a new thread.

gavotteindmajor

Another note to the dancers of BW. My 14yo dd idolizes Beckanne. When she saw her drunk, she told me that her opinion of her has lessened.

Mine said essentially the same thing. She also noted that Beckanne was under the legal drinking age.

I watched the first episode of the season with the rest of my dorm and when we got to the party scenes with Beckanne, some said, "Wait a minute? isn't she the one whose, like, ten years old?" I can only assume the party scenes with Beckanne and the BW2 members were for cameras. It's not to say underage drinking is something that happens often (perhaps too often), because I can only imagine documented video-proof underage drinking will be a legal problem, right? If a tree falls in the forest and it's broadcasted on national TV...

lsu

gavotteindmajor, I seriously doubt that anyone would prosecute. The footage shows that Beckanne looked drunk but we didn't see her pouring the alcohol into her cup and it could easily be said that she was acting.

Mousling

It is up to the city attorney to prosecute the person who supplies the minor with alcohol - either bar owners or individuals. Not sure what the crime rate is in SLC, but I imagine even they have bigger fish to fry.

The 20 yr old should make some better choices when representing her employer. The older dancer whose rant excuses this behavior (and I am not talking about the drinking) is not helping.

Violet1

I am disgusted by Allison's rant!! There are thousands of girls who would love to take her place Christmas Eves and all!!

learningdance

There are also lifetime contracts. Some actually receive a pension when they reach a certain age! She feels very lucky to be in her company where it seems people are valued and respected.

Is she in a US company? If so that's great. I didn't think that the US companies did pensions. Is it an AGMA contract?

Twinkle Mom

The older dancer whose rant excuses this behavior (and I am not talking about the drinking) is not helping.

I agree.

swanchat

removed by poster

learningdance

thanks swanchat. .. I thought that I had missed some AMAZING development in US companies.