Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

Television: Breaking Pointe on the CW-Season 2

GretchenStar

The part that bothers me the most about Breaking Pointe season 2 would have to be the drama between Beckanne/Chase & Zach. The partying parts are ok (though I say this as an adult, not an easily impressionable kid), but the "drama" about who said what about whom is exhausting. There are tons of other reality shows that have this atmosphere already - what's the point of using pro ballet dancers if you're just going to show the same exact thing as regular joe schmoes?

I don't have a problem with the reality show as a whole - my sis mentioned (from reading an article) that one of the principal(?) dancers opted out on participating so she's rarely shown (or something like that). It sounds like the dancers had a choice and some took it and others declined. If I were in the company, I'd probably opt out given the pitfalls of reality show editing (plus, I'd be a really boring "character" anyway). So as long as there was a choice, it's all good - it's a chance to watch ballet on network television. Plus, there are probably a gazillion teachable moments for kids/teens, whether they're aspiring to be pro dancers or not.

I wonder if they had Ms. Sommes shake and nod her head a bunch of times, at each photo, so the producers could piece together the storyline they wanted :)

threegirlpileup

An interesting contrast to this show, I think, is "The Secret Lives of Dancers," which includes some personal stuff but really focuses on the dancing. What personal stuff they do is done much more skillfully--really, on BP it is so heavy-handed and much of it clearly scripted.

gavotteindmajor

I watched Secret Lives of Dancers! It was very good, and had more dancing. The personal issues were more toned down and not as obnoxious as BP. I actually watched the episodes straight through and they had a wide spectrum of characters. When I watch Breaking Pointe with friends I spend the majority of the time making sarcastic comments and laughing during the dramatic scenes, and when I watch it alone, I spend that time on social networks and texting friends until the next dancing scene comes up. It would be interesting to figure out the amount of time I actually watch the show with interest, instead of half listening to it and half scrolling through Twitter.

I somewhat gave up on it being a ballet show, and I think by now the director's mind is more "Drinks, parties, relationship drama, MORE drama, and oh yeah, this is a ballet company--let's throw in a few shots of people in pointe shoes!" It's good for guilty pleasure, but perhaps not very informative.

While I suppose this breed of dancer possibly stayed away from the whole reality TV situation, there has to be at least one dancer in that company that is pursuing online school or sells decorated leotards on Etsy for extra money or even one that plays the piano for fun or something. Even showing someone crocheting legwarmers during a break would do it for me. It seems like all they do is dance, party and argue but many dancers have a secret talent or hobby that they do for fun or even while they are stretching or icing.

tzbutterfly

Nice discussions, this is my 2 pennies:

I think most viewers from this board would prefer a "documentary" type of reality show that focus on professional life of Dancers, AD, Choreographers, and dances, or even company finances. Personally, I wouldn't mind watching 20 minutes or more "boring" company classes. However, I also understand the producer has to watch ratings in order make the show viable, which means to spice up or make it entertaininng to certain block of audience. I don't think some bad images from this show will ruin the ballet anything at all. My personal strategy is to record the show and watch later by skipping the parts I don't like. I am really excited to expect next episode for the casting. I think there is a big surprise brewing ...Who do you think would be (not should be) the Cind?

pointeprovider

What an interesting defense of the show and of Beckanne has appeared from Ballet West on Facebook... at least we are able to read of their own thought process. I don't think it has changed my opinion of things, except to underscore how very much the staff there loves their young prodigy. I am quite impressed with that. Would that all of our young dancers who work so hard could receive the same adulation! Wow.

swanchat

removed by poster

learningdance

Oh my and perhaps the whole country and be drawn into the jr high antics of Beckanne's posse of defenders. . . .Oh, she will look back some day and be so embarrassed.

MamatoMary

First - I want to say that I have nothing against ballet dancers having a good party. What I do have a problem with is openly serving minors alcohol. It's illegal. Whether Beckanne and the other BWII dancers had one sip, one drink, or a dozen ... it's still illegal. No negotiating.

I'm getting the impression that the producers of the show don't understand the nuances of ballet relationships well enough to capitalize on dance-related drama so they are falling back into a cliché of what they do know - partying and sex. If they want drama, they should keep their eyes and ears open and expound on the dance drama that is probably right in front of them, staring them in the face. And that means more drama than who will be Cinderella.

Mousling

A darling young girl and friend of my DD just came home from Rock SI and posted a photo of herself arm in arm with Beckanne in matching white leos. I realize how young these girls are (17 for our friend and 20 for Beckanne). I am done bashing her as she is a real person and someone's child -- and also since I am not really watching the show.

edit to add: I am also glad no one offered money to film me at age 20 (I wouldve signed my life away willingly), and that most of my idiocy happened in the 1990s pre-social media and off-camera.

swanchat

removed by poster

Mousling

Haha... Swanchat, I meant me, not you. I agreed with most of what you said about her behavior in class and rehearsal and still do. .

Momof3darlings

I have not had a chance to watch the 2nd show in it's entirety. I did see the last couple of minutes but will not comment on the show itself until I watch it all. But I have read through this thread. I feel I need to say this and I hope it comes across in the non-pointed but yet heart felt way I mean it.

I want us to continue to discuss the show and the issues that behavior, statements, attitudes on the show reflect as well as the education we can see from things like the coaching of the ballet. There is alot I could say about the show itself and likely will later. But where I want us to be careful is in the tone that speaks as if we have a camera around our own children and know all they say and do. A tone that reflects that we know our child would never participate in this or that. This is a truth that as a parent we will never know about our own child or the other children within the company they reside in. I have gotten a bit of a sense of "my child would never" and as a former school teacher, I will say that every child has an issue. Every family has an issue. The difference is that I may not want your issues and you may not want mine. But we are not absolved of having them. This no matter how respectable, how focused and how "good" our own children may be.

So I guess what I"m saying is. I am fine with us discussing the show and all it's issues as it relates to ballet and ballet companies. But I am little less enamored with us discussing these individual dancers with a tone of my child would never or my child doesn't or her company would never. Because as a parent, we simply don't have that absolute no matter how close our relationship to our dancing children is. Group dynamics are what they are and in every group what we see on that screen will likely be identified including our children's company. Different players, different drama. And like it's the mom, I'm glad her DKs company had to sense enough to see the film and decide no!

learningdance

Mousling,

I haven't meant to "bash" anyone but the behaviors being portrayed are in the public realm and I genuinely care that it demeans everything professional dancers have done to get where they are. I also think it trivializes their lives. I care very much that as many people as possible understand that this show is not "real" because many think that it is. They think that the dancers really live like this. They don't see the long hours, the blood, sweat and tears and exhaustion.

I do understand that Beckanne is a real person and someone's child. My dd is a professional dancer. She is a real person. She is my child. If my dd puts herself in the public arena on a reality show and young dancers scurry to have a photo with her and these young dancers put her on some sort of pedestal as a role model, then she has the responsibility to behave well in that public arena. Yes, it's hard for young adults to accept but there is an implied responsibility here. If my dd is being filmed (and she has been in filmed interviews and a documentary and toured in her country of employment, performing for children who then asked for photos and autographs) then she has agreed to public scrutiny. That means when the cameras are rolling, a person in the public eye should monitor their words, demeanor and behavior. While the editing can frame a lot to be something that it's not, the fact remains that those words did come out of her mouth, those looks at the barre did happen, and that alcohol did go into her mouth. These are hardly the actions of someone behaving as a role model for other dancers, particularly young ones. And that's just the social aspects of this. The statements about dancing in the corps or pointless rehearsals also reflect some unprofessional attitudes that young dancers need to understand are simply not professional and is not tolerated in most companies.

I only watched a few episodes last season. I decided it wasn't my cup of tea. I watched this year because Ms.Somes was at BW and I wanted to see how an American company adapted to Ashton's style and choreography and how Ms. Somes works with dancers. Sadly, I'm just seeing a bunch of badly behaved, immature dancers.

I agree. When you seek publicity you become a "public figure" and you can't have it both ways. Who you are IS what you portray in a public forum. It IS what you say publically. It IS what you do publically. You can't back away from you actions and words and give excuses about your behavior. .. that's adolescent. And according to the law, Beckanne is really an adult. She is legally able to decide for herself and obligate herself contractually. So, if she was my child I would explain this is how the real world works. . . Make your choices, make your mistakes, and TAKE RESPONSBILITY for them. AND LEARN from them. But don't make excuses and play the victim and fail to accept responsibilty.

And I say this with a great deal of humility becasue I have certainly done and said a whole lot of stupid things. But no one was around excusing those things and letting me retreat into the world of being a child, where "it's not really your fault."

swanchat

removed by poster

Mousling

I really don't care for Beckanne's behavior, but I care less for the belief that we are all better than she was at that age. I wasn't and I am still glad my parents don't know most of what I did.

The show is one step above Real Housewives nonsense with the parties and fighting, and as with those types of shows, I chose to back off after seeing the first episode. I feel that bringing that kind of presence into my life even in a small way normalizes it and slowly changes who I am, so I choose not to waste the precious free time I have with that.

As for everyone else, I respect (and share mostly) much of your opinion about the appropriate way to behave in a company. Too bad much of their personal life is the focus.