Ballet Talk for Dancers

Adult Pas De Deux Question

leopard dancer

I am an adult male who has been taking ballet for the past 8 years (off and on for the past 4 years) in a recreational studio. I have always wanted to learn to partner and perform a pas de deux in a local production or a recital. The problem is my recreational studio may not have enough women in the adult class that can go en pointe and would want to perform in a recital. I did take some classes at a local upstart ballet school that has adult classes a few years ago they have some local productions and are definitely short on men. I like the studio I attend, but not sure if this goal is attainable or is taken seriously as I am an adult student. Should I work with my current studio and hopefully find a lady who can go en pointe and would like to partner or should I go with the local ballet school? When I was took classes at the local ballet school, they did ask me to be a party dad in their Nutcracker production that one year. I was out of state at the time so I declined. I guess I am a male willing to partner, but needs to find a female partner. Any advice?

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, leopard dancer!!!!

If you wish to learn pas de deux, then you will need to get to a school where it is competently taught. It isn't something where we just choose a partner and start lifting, but I'm sure you already knew that :wink: Start doing some research on schools in your area. Look for professional environments, and then, see what they say!!!

Good luck!!!

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, leopard dancer!!!!

If you wish to learn pas de deux, then you will need to get to a school where it is competently taught. It isn't something where we just choose a partner and start lifting, but I'm sure you already knew that :wink: Start doing some research on schools in your area. Look for professional environments, and then, see what they say!!!

Good luck!!!

Thank you! Yes, I do know that. I guess I was looking for confirmation. It looks like the ballet school is my best bet. My recreational studio may be able to get me something in the recital, but the ballet school means actual performance.

I have just started with lifts ( for a show that is up coming , my first !) I thought would be fairly easy to do, could not have been so wrong, upper body strength one of my weakness having to work on, so to help, build that up lifting my girlfriend, BUT only like straight up off the ground to my full arm length, helping some , for actual lifts you definitely need correct instruction and also one or two people to be about for safety as well so both you and your partner don't get injured when you first start

• 3 weeks later...

leopard dancer Have you asked your studioinstructors about this? Some of the lifts are difficult and require a lot of practice. Lifts are only a part of Pas and many of the move are not difficult to excute. I encourage you to speak to your studio instructors and let them know that you are interested.

As long as you don't feel it would upset your current studio (I would let them know this is what you are interested in) I would call around. A lot of studios offer pas de duex classes for free for guys and would jump to have any that are interested.

Lifts DO take a lot of strength but also the timing and leveraging make a BIG difference. The girls ability to hold her weight makes a difference to.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies and advice. Yes, I will talke to my teacher about my continued interest.

And also -- women don't need to be on pointe in order for both men & women to learn about partnering. Ideally, yes, but in the real world, if you found a studio who would run a pas de deux class for adult ballet students, I'm sure there'd be eager dancers on demi-pointe!

I agree that the partner need not be en pointe, though that does make some things easier.

More important than that is that each partner knows what to do, and that the one being "supported" can really hold herself (sometimes "stiff as a board").

It is really helpful if the "supported" partner fully understands the steps and can execute them well, alone, so that the support is just that: support, and not "carrying around". :)

-d-

Thanks again for the advice. I think the best chance for an actual pas de deux is with the ballet school. I really like my recreational studio, but I think it may be limited as a lot of the adult ladies who come to class may not want to perform in a recital for various reasons. But, I will talk to my teacher at my recreational studio and let her know of my interests.

Edited by leopard dancer
  • 2 weeks later...

A partnering class may be "fun" on Demi pointe, but the gentleman will not learn to to correctly handle a woman doing pirouettes, promenades, turns and even some lifts. It is very different.

The traditional Rose Adagio Promenade for example, if you practiced that to a Female dancer in Leather Technique shoes, the friction and muscles used by both dancers would be totally different. The Gentleman would be pushing her around more than supporting her balance. Bad habits would be learned.

If a dancer is not ready for pointe, she is likely not ready for partnering. I've had teachers ask students who did not bring their pointe shoes to leave partnering class. I've been kicked out for not having sewn elastics on my technique shoes, too.