Ballet Talk for Dancers

What do they look for when dancers audition for intensives?

KeepCalmAndDanceOn

I am thinking about auditioning for a summer intensive in 2014. I am going to really work this year to improve so I could, hopefully pass an audition for a summer intensive, since I desperately need the experience. What I want to know is specific details that are looked for during auditions. I know they want good technique, but do they want dancers with uber high leg extensions, incredibly deep plies, and triple pirouettes? Any information about intensive auditions would be great!

• Administrators

KeepCalm, I moved your topic to this forum because the forum where you posted it does not accept any new topics. It is used for reviews of the SI Programs. However, you can find a lot of information about the all of the well known programs there.

Auditions are just classes. Expectations are generally age and training related, and they are looking for well trained dancers with a good physical facility for ballet, a love for dance, and musicality. A positive attitude, along with a willingness to learn and take corrections and try them immediately are also important. The quality of the line and the turns and the jumps is way more important than the height or number. A beautifully placed and rotated 90 degree extension, with a well shaped foot, is better than a super high extension without the line, the rotation, and the foot shape.

And welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers! :)

This really helps me alot :) I have always worked to improve technique and I definitely have the passion for dance. Thanks so much for replying!

• 4 months later...

I'm planning on auditioning for a summer intensive, but I'll be sending in an audition tape. Any tips or tricks on that?

There are no tricks to sending an audition tape. The best advise is the advice Ms. Leigh gave above. Relax, smile and enjoy! Your best is always better when you smile!

Thank you, Ms. Leigh!

• Administrators

I locked this topic so that we don't have two threads going on the same topic.