Ballet Talk for Dancers

minimum pointe per week

Lady Elle

So my dd is going into this years classes with 10.5 hrs of technique classes and within that is about 3 hrs of pointe (I think, I'm not sure if the "pointe/variation" class is en pointe for the whole 1.5 class) this does not include rehearsal time which will start up probably in October. is this enough? I feel like its enough for now, but might need to be increased within a year or so.

oh - she's 13, she'll be 14 in Jan. She'll be in probably close to the highest level they offer as their a somewhat new studio and still have mostly little ones. she's been en pointe for about a year and a half.

• Administrators

Lady Elle, can you break down the schedule for me, like day by day? That would make it easier to determine exactly what she is getting. It sounds pretty good, but there are possibly some questions.

tues - 5 - 6:15 technique w/ point, 6:30 - 8:00 pointe/ variation (she'll prbably do the first class on flat)

Wed 5:15 - 6:45 technique w/ pointe

Thurs 5 - 6:30 contemporary ballet, 7:00 - 8:30 technique (flat)

Fri 5:15 - 6:45 technique

Sat 11:00 - 1:00 Tech w/ pointe

she's doing tap at her old studio on Mondays which is why she's doing 2 classes on Tuesday (one below her level and one at her level)

this studio requires the contemporary class as the owner has really developed his own contemporary BALLET syllabus

And he feels very strongly that a dancer who is wanting to get into a company should be exposed to contemporary movement.

the saturday class usually does about 45 minutes pointe, the other classes that say "with pointe" I think are about 1/2 hr.

Thanks!

• Administrators

I think it's okay for now, at her age. Next year she should move to 6 days, with hopefully a bit more separate pointe time which follows the tech. classes instead of combined with them.

• 3 weeks later...

According to this great post by Clara76,

Age 14/15- at least 5-6 ballet-only classes of at least 1.5-1.75 hours each, immediately followed by pointework classes at least 4 times per week.

Age 16/17- at least 6 ballet-only classes of at least 1.5-1.75 hours in length, followed immediately by pointework classes.

• Administrators

Don't forget that we are talking ideal here. Not every school, even the larger pre-pro schools, offer pointe classes every day, 6 days a week. For instance, since Saturdays are usually rehearsals on pointe, there is only a technique class. Variations and pas de deux classes are also pointe classes, so if those are included during the week they would count as the pointe class for that day.