Ballet Talk for Dancers

Adult Ballet Classes - New York

Guest Patricia

Guest Patricia

The studio I have studied at for the last four years may close this summer. If anyone has any suggestions for adult ballet classes in Manhattan I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you:)

Depends on where in NYC you want to be.

Dance Space is in Soho and I enjoyed Martha Chapman's Beg. Int. class. Bob Atwood, an excellent teacher, also has classes there during the year.

Steps is on 74th Street and Broadway. I've enjoyed Atwood's classes and Lonnie Morretton and Kathy Smith also teach adult beginners. I've also enjoyed clases by Filipov and Fabrice Herrault.

Ballet Arts and Broadway Dance are in the Carniege Hall area and have a wide range of classes. Check their web sites for schedules.

Steps I have heard is great, although I have never been. I live and work on the eastside so it is harder for me to get to Steps. I have only ever heard very positive things about it though. I am taking a beginner adult workshop at Broadway Dance center, with Dawn Hillen, and she has been very supportive. Their other level beginner classes are a little too much for me right now though. There is the Ballet Academy East which has a very good evening schedule of adult classes, on 90th and 3rd avenue. Very supportive teachers!

2 Left Feet

I've taken classes at Steps. It's a wonderful place and the teachers are very good. I love the high ceilings and windows that look out onto turn of the century buildings. It feels like the streotype of a dance studio. I think their weekday adult classes are in the mornings.

I know ABT offers adult classes at night. A friend took one recently and said it was just fine, not too difficult for her. She was afraid with the ABT name attached it would be way beyond her, but she enjoyed it. Mostly she enjoyed being able to walk around the hallways cluttered with ABT crates, photos and all sorts of other stuff for their shows.

2 Left Feet, I find it so amazing when I stand around the studio and watch other classes, especially the pointe classes and I just gawk... I look at my watch and realize that i've been gawking for close to 30 mins! I can imagine I would feel the same way at ABT !

2 Left Feet

Yeah. There's something about that space that makes even a bad class feel magic.

• 6 years later...
Holly Golightly

I hope this is the right section of the boards where to ask...

Unless something unexpected and tragic befalls (I'm such an awful sceptic, I know :thumbsup: ) between now and August, I'll be moving to NYC in the Fall, and I'd like to have some advice on where to find adult ballet classes in the mari magno of schools and studios to be found in the city.

I will be located in the area around Columbia, so I'd like to find out about places at a reasonable distance from the university precincts. What concerns me is that, since I will be there as a Graduate student, I will surely not be able to go to classes on a daily basis, both because it would be too expensive, and because it would create conflicts with my academic schedule. Still, if I could find a place where I could take three classes a week (and if at least one were over the weekend that'd be a dream!), or even join on a flexible/drop in basis, that'd be very good.

However, I would still like to end up in a "serious" studio where I could study proper technique even if I am just an adult amateur student that cannot attend every day. That's why I am turning to the board members' expertise for advice in finding a bunch of eligible places to try. Do you think I'll manage to find something of the sort I am after?

Even if I am technically not a beginner, I wouldn't mind joining a beginners' class (I regard advanced classes as being way ahead of me :thumbsup: !). Seriously, the only thing that matters to me is finding a "serious" studio: even if I can get only a few classes, I'd like them to be taken "the right way".

Oh, graduate student life in New York city -- bliss! A good friend of mine did her PhD at Columbia and had a fantastic time!

There are many threads on classes in NYC -- it's a mecca for US dancers, so there is a class to suit everyone. I've enjoyed drop-in classes at Steps, and Peridance (Peridance probably too far downtown for a Columbia locale). I'm sure there'll be lots of people with more experience of regular adult training to help.

I'm off to NYC and DC again myself in a couple of days. Not sure I'll have time for class in NYC, as I'm just there for a couple of days & mostly hanging out with friends there, but I'm working for a couple of weeks in DC again, and looking forward to some new teacher experiences there.

Missgoodytoeshoes

Steps is a good choice as it is convenient. It can easily be reached by subway and they offer many classes.

Just take the # 1 train (red) from 116th street to 72nd.

Ballet Academy East is also good but it is on the East side (3rd Ave near 93rd Street - 96th street stop on the 6 train (green)) and getting accross town isn't always easy. You would take the # 1 train to 96th Street and then transfer to the cross town bus which travels along 96th street.

For your reference:

Steps - www.stepsnyc.com

Ballet Academy East - http://www.balletacademyeast.com/classes.a...;Id=4&LId=1

NYC subway map - http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

New York has tons of ballet classes. You will love it!! Best of luck to you!!

Yes, Steps will definitely be easiest to get to, although it is very crowded and can feel impersonal. BAE is a pain from Columbia, but it's a worthwhile place to go, and you'll get lots of attention.

The problem with Columbia is it's on the #1 train, which is very slow. Taking the #1 all the way to 59th St. takes a long time. Switching to the Express at 96th St. would save time (the #2/3 is very fast) , but then you can't get off until 42nd St and most of the ballet studios are north of 42nd. It's really now well set up. Then there's the "far west side," which requires a walk of at least 1/2 mile to get anywhere interesting.

If you want to take class after 7, you pretty much need to go to Ballet Arts (balart.com) or Ballet Academy East. Ballet Arts is in Midtown not too far from Columbus Circle.

You can also check out Manhattan Movement & Arts Center. It's the successor to the longstanding and well-respected Studio Maestro: http://www.manhattanmovement.com/. Also kind of a pain to get to.

Alvin Ailey is probably a bit easier to get to: http://www.alvinailey.org/page.php?p=arti&v=124

https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/home.asp

If you're looking for something with a bit more of a community feeling, then you should definitely check out Ballet Arts and Ballet Academy East.

My experience is you might end up just going to Steps a lot because that will save you time. If you're into biking, then you can bike down the West Side bikeway and get to Ailey or MM&AC pretty easily as well.

Holly, here is a thread about classes in NYC, and within this thread are links to other threads about classes in NYC.

Upcoming trip to New York

I'm wondering whether we should make an NYC advice Sticky? It's a question which comes up regularly.

Holly Golightly

Wow, thank you for being so fast! I am trying to check out the websites... www.balart.com seems down at the moment? I will probably have to try out more than one, and also decide according to my schedule and finance!

Something else I am looking for is for a teacher that would have enough patience to deal with a student with a minor disability in one of her arms: that would probably be my main "problem", because I can understand that not everyone would want to do so :yes: . This is also one of the reasons why I was suggesting that I'd be more than happy with a beginner class, as long as it is more "technique" than "dancey". Maybe it's pointless considering my age and condition, but I would still like to "improve" if possible - just for the sake of it...

I'd also recommend Steps—it takes like 10 minutes to go from 116th to 72nd, and even faster if you catch the express at 96th. I also ride my bike down West End; it's by far the least scary street to bike on because there aren't any buses. Buses are terrifying! I wouldn't worry about the disability, most teachers at Steps are used to teaching a wide variety of students and don't mind if you adjust something to suit your needs. Check out Kathy Smith's advanced beginner class—it's a good class for working on clean technique, but you won't get bored.

You could also check out Bridge for Dance, at 104th and Broadway—it's not the greatest, but some of the ballet teachers are really good and there are no pipes to crash into in the middle of the studios like there are at Steps!