Ballet Talk for Dancers
Thyme

Film: Am I the only one to have missed TuTu Much?

Mousling

That is interesting that Tutu Much (2010) is a different version of Ballet Girls (there are some of the same scenes in both - and definitely same girls) which was released in 2006/7 -- making all those 10-14 yr olds 17 to early 20s now.

One of the girls seen in TutuMuch/Ballet Girls, Vivika Ballard, is also in Ballet High (2009) documenting some of the students' final year as level 7s at RWBS. I am surprised RWB makes their school so accessible to documentaries - not necessarily good nor bad; just interesting.

ballonne mama

(I already have my eye on the November Netflix / Amazon release of "Tutu Much." Thanks for the head's up y'all!!)

How would one track down "Ballet Girls" and "Ballet High" in the US? That sounds like something my DD would love to see.

Growing in Grace

Is it going to be on streaming Netflix? I've been trying to find any type of ballet-based show for DD to watch. So far, we've only found one.

mom2

Just watched the film via Apple TV.

Similar to Ballet Girls for those of you who have seen that - but a bit more footage on a couple of dancers.

Some things were presented in a time frame that I'm pretty sure was different from the original filming, but I could probably be the only one to notice this.

I think the film is a pretty good representation of the summer school as audition for full year ballet program.

Momof3darlings

Tutu Much is streaming free on Amazon Prime, right now at least, if anyone would like to see it.

Ballerinamom2girls

Thank you I've been wanting to see it and I have prime.

amsunshine

We saw this last summer on itunes and liked it. It seemed like a realistic peek into the summer intensive at Royal Winnipeg.

Ballerinamom2girls

We enjoyed it!

Ballerinamom2girls

I wanted to add one comment- is it normal for big places like that to tell a child to their face everything that's wrong with their body?? (Your shoulders aren't right your neck is too short your feet are bad... why did you accept her in the first place!!)

learningdance

My DD has witnessed Russian teachers say such things to students in classes. (not her regular teachers. They may be thinking these things but they don't dare say them. They are really supportive.)

If you watch some of the Russian documentaries or read blogs of dancers studying in Russian schools you will hear such things.

Clara 76

I have witnessed Russian teachers who do not say such things, and American teachers who say much stronger things. It is not where the teacher trained that is an absolute definition of how he or she will teach.

In my opinion, as a dancer, I'd rather have them clearly tell me what I need to work on, rather than try to be politically correct.

Ballerinamom2girls

But you can't work on having broad shoulders or a short neck...it is her physical reality. She gave zero guidance on what to do about it.

learningdance

Dancers cannot change their feet. If a teacher tells them "You have bad feet," that is is fixed mindset-- your feet cannot be changed. You don't belong. If the teacher says, "You need to work on stretching your feet." that is a growth mindset, you can improve. Teachers who don't believe in their students abilities to improve aren't really teaching?

Ballerinamom2girls

I agree about the feet, and that's my whole pointe. She said to the 11 year olds face that her feet would be bad for pointe work- with zero hope and encouragement as to how she could work on her feet. However her shoulders and neck cannot be changed, that was just unnecessary to comment on. If they didnt like her proportions, they shouldn't have let her in to the SI. The whole point of the SI, they said, was to evaluate them for the winter term. They made her work for 4 weeks with the hope that she would get in but they knew she was not physically the look they wanted from the very beginning. Just cruel if you ask me.