Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
jdancer13

First time boy doing YAGP. Need help.

jdancer13

I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post in!!

Hi everybody, I would really like to hear your thoughts/opinions on my little situation here. First off, I am a boy who just turned 16 years old and I have been dancing for just a little over 12 months. I want to pursue ballet professionally and would consider myself a determined person.Although I may not be able to do a crazy amount of turns I would consider myself fairly adequate to compete. Currently I am in level 5 out of 7 at my ballet school which is affiliated with a company. I feel that in order to take that next step in becoming a professional I would need to compete in YAGP. I am not saying all professionals need to compete in ballet competitions, but I myself would like to do it.

This year I want to compete in YAGP for many reasons:

-I think performing my solo would be helpful on building my stage experience. It would push me further than my ballet schools demo since I will be performing alone and not with other people.

-The experience of attending YAGP

-Meeting with my coaches (I have 2 coaches who I go to another studio to meet with since my school does not support ballet competitions) to learn my solos

-I plan on doing either Satanella or Flower Festival variation

I am not trying to "win it all" at YAGP, but rather look at it as an experience. However, being 16 means that I will be in the senior category and I am aware that at YAGP there is much exposure. I am scared that in worst case scenario I will end up embarrassing myself in front big names. Although I may be attending for experience I certainly do not want to make a fool of myself. Please do not think just because I want to go to YAGP for an experience that I will not be putting forth 110% effort because I am ready to work harder than ever.

So I guess my main point is, do you think I am ready for YAGP and am I going for the right reasons? Thanks in advance :happy:

Joseph11

Hi jdancer13, and welcome.

just a couple of thoughts:

1. the only one who really knows if you are ready is you.

2. don't ever worry about embarrasing yourself - if it does happen, deal with it, but never worry about it

3. you can only give 100% - sorry but that's just the law of physics

4. you get one shot at life - what you do with it is up to you

(and finally, this from my dad)

5. what matters most in life is not the size of the dog in the fight - its the size of the fight in the dog

best of luck whatever you decide!

silvergreydancer

Jdancer13,

Well, as you stated, you have been taking lesson for one year. Not a lot of time considering that most of the senior lever dancers will have a lot more time in the studio than you do. Determination can help a lot. If you are a natural and have the tricks down that will also be a big +. What do your coaches say? If you are indeed in it for the reason you say then go for it! Yes, you may not live up to your expectation. But if, as you stated, you are after the experience then go for it. If all you get out of it is that you have some idea where you are on the continuum, then it may be a valuable experience. Listen to your coaches they will have your best interest at heart. Good luck with you decision. Let us know how you make out. Some of the YGAP is on you tube. This may be helpful in your decision of whether or not to participate.

gcwhitewater

Jdancer13...you have posted that you are training with a company affiliated school. I would highly recommend discussing this with your instructors there. If they are not in support of competing, as you also mentioned, you should discuss the reasons why they do not encourage it. YAGP can be a great experience but it is not for everyone and the timing in your training will also be a factor. You have not been training long so it may not be as beneficial for you. I have no way of knowing that but your regular instructors will. Put more weight on what your regular instructors say compared to your "coaches". No disrespect to your coaches but you have entrusted your regular instructors with your training and any deviation from what their plan is for you should be discussed. If you decide to go ahead with the competition please inform your instructors and get their blessing. It is a small world and nothing goes unnoticed for long!

jdancer13

Thank you to all 3 of you for your responses. They have really made me think deeper and also given me some confidence in hopes of competing. As of now I think I will most likely compete. Thank you again (:

jdancer13

Jdancer13...you have posted that you are training with a company affiliated school. I would highly recommend discussing this with your instructors there. If they are not in support of competing, as you also mentioned, you should discuss the reasons why they do not encourage it. YAGP can be a great experience but it is not for everyone and the timing in your training will also be a factor. You have not been training long so it may not be as beneficial for you. I have no way of knowing that but your regular instructors will. Put more weight on what your regular instructors say compared to your "coaches". No disrespect to your coaches but you have entrusted your regular instructors with your training and any deviation from what their plan is for you should be discussed. If you decide to go ahead with the competition please inform your instructors and get their blessing. It is a small world and nothing goes unnoticed for long!

You bring up a good point when asking my regular instructor for a blessing. Although I may not be learning my solo at my regular school it does make sense to see how my regular instructor feels about me competing.