Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Show

phoebe-ballet

This year our ballet teacher decided to do Peter Pan as our yearly show. I was chosen as Wendy (yay!) so I am a lead role. I will be dancing with everyone and that means that I will be on stage for at least 1 1/2 hours. The show is split in two Acts, but I am still really scared.

I have never been a major role in a Ballet Show but at least Peter Pan (who I will be dancing with a lot) is an good friend of mine(We go to an all girls ballet school).

I need to be a lot more flexible and I have soft ankles.

I would be very grateful if you could tell me some exercises or send me some links so that I can practice.

(The show will not be on pointe)

• Administrators

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, phoebe-ballet. :) Congratulations on getting the role of Wendy in the show. I'm sure that will be a lot of fun!!!

As far as becoming more flexible, that comes from classes and stretching (always after classes, or at least barre), and it also often gets better when you get past the growth spurts of 12-14. We do not teach stretches here on the board, as we feel that those need to be taught by a hands on teacher, so that you know you are doing it correctly, and at the right times. Also that the stretches are the right ones for you. Different dancers need different types of regular stretches.

As for soft ankles, I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Do you mean they are not strong? If so, that also comes with growth and very regular classes. You should be in technique class at least 4 times per week, with at least 2 pointe classes. Next year that should increase to at least 5, preferably 6 days a week of technique, and 3 or 4 of pointe. The pointe classes should always follow a technique class, of course.

Have fun with Peter Pan, and tell us about it when it's over!