Ballet Talk for Dancers
ascballerina

Height of my rise

ascballerina

I have a silly question. No, it actually is a silly question, because I can't figure out for the life of me why this is happening.

I regularly use maybe 98% of my actual rise height, and that's an improvement from previous years. I'm still working on it. A few days ago, one of my ballet shoes fell out of my bag into the car when I picked it up, and I didn't notice, so when I got into the studio, I had one shoe and my mum had already left. So my ballet teacher told me to wear my jazz shoes just this once so I could still dance. (it's a bit embarrassing telling this story, actually, even though I've seen that happen to other people before it's never happened to me) Anyway, I went up on a rise at the end of the plie exercise, and I noticed...that I was using the whole thing. I was 100% of the way up. Yay, I can do it now, right? Nope. Next class (with proper shoes), eager to use this new added height and strength, I tried...and it was really really hard. I can do it, but it's not as effortless as it was that day. In jazz class...I went all the way up with little to no effort. (I don't know if I was doing it before, the height of my rise is not something I really worry about in jazz....)

It isn't the shoes, right? It can't be the shoes. It's just a fluke.....

Victoria Leigh

Do you mean the height of your demi pointe position? If so, there should be no reason for not getting there all the time, if you can get there sometimes. Can you get there barefoot? If so, and the ballet shoes are not allowing it, I really don't know why, but change them and see!

ascballerina

Yes, that's what I mean. I have a hard time getting there and staying there most of the time. I just tried--I can get there barefoot just fine. Odd. My current ballet shoes are about ready to die, so that might be it, but I still don't see how they're stopping me....

Victoria Leigh

I don't either, but, try different ones. I would suggest a canvas split sole.

ascballerina

I'm wearing a stretch canvas split sole, but as I said, they're pretty dilapidated...

Clara 76

Definitely change shoes. Many of the shoes out there today have thick pleats that affect balance in the demi pointe. Try some different brands and styles, and definitely try the demi pointe on a hard surface. :thumbsup:

ascballerina

Thank you, Clara!