Ballet Talk for Dancers

Not sure if I'm ready for SI

suzmar99

I've been taking ballet for 9 years and I am kinda wanting to go and audition for the Kansas City Ballet SI, but I only currently take 2 times a week and I'm worried that I'm not ready. I am one of my teacher's favorites and 2nd best in my class. I feel like it would be good for me though, so that hopefully I would improve a lot. Should I just go for it?

Edited by Victoria Leigh
Capitalization and punctuation.
  • Administrators

Hello suzmar99, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers.

You have nothing to lose by trying, nor will you ever know whether you could make it or not unless you try. Is there any way you could be taking more classes? Twice a week is really not at all sufficient for someone at least 13.

Please note that I edited your post, above, to add upper case letters where needed, and also some punctuation. I hope you will spend some time reading our topics on the board, and learning about how we work here. We do ask that you do not use text message typing.

• 2 months later...

No, I live in a small town with only two studios, and anywhere else is too far away. So right now I'm taking adv pointe and the beginner pointe class at my studio.

Edited by Victoria Leigh
Capitalization and punctuation.
  • Administrators

Suzmar, according to your registration profile you live in or near a city with a very fine professional ballet company and school. If you plan to continue in ballet, you really need to get to a school that has a pre-professional program. If you get accepted to KC Ballet for the SI, I hope that you will go there and then make the move to attend there year round. Two classes a week is simply not sufficient. I would not even put a twice a week student on pointe.

Suzmar, I think you should definitely try and audition for KC ballet!

I auditioned several times (unsuccessfully) to my local pre-professional school.

I was starting to get discourages but I continued working hard and was accepted to a good SI program.

After the program, I auditioned for the pre-professional school and was accepted! That is where I go now and I am so glad that I did.

If you are serious about ballet, you should definitely try to go to a summer program! Good luck with your auditions! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I live in a very small town far away from everything else, and I am part of a small ballet company. We have three performances a year, and three or four instructors.I take a total of four ballet classes a week and attend two rehearsals. I definitely want to pursue dance in the future. Is this an okay number of classes to be taking a week?

Edited by SpencerDancer17

I am 15, and will be almost 16 around the time I take the intensive.

• Administrators

I don't think your class schedule is enough, SpencerDancer. At 15, almost 16, you should have at least 5, preferably 6 technique classes per week, plus at least 3 pointe classes. According to your registration you live in a major city, but you said above you are far away in a small town. You need to get to the city and there is definitely a very major school there.

I put Seattle as my major metropolitan neighbor, but I actually live in Alaska, far away from everywhere else. I'm taking the maximum number of ballet classes that I can. I'm sort of stuck here until college.

• Administrators

Okay, then it is time for you to consider full time residence schools. Check our forum on those schools, and do any auditions that you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Im about the same age as you and Im taking 6 technique classes and 4 pointe classes a week, as well as a weekly private, and I just don't thing 2 classes a week is enough. Its still considered recreational so I would definitely audition for their summer intensive but just be prepared to be auditioning with students at the pre- professional level. I would start looking into any additional classes you can possibly take and look into residential programs if ballet is really something you want to do with your life.