Ballet Talk for Dancers

High(er) Passe/Retire

gerlonda

Greetings All!

For several years now I have been given the correction of "Higher Passe!" When I attempt this I sometimes get spastic pain in the working hamstring, so I try to "strengthen" the hamstring with lifts with light weights, and alternating with stretching it out. It gets millimeters higher, but never above (or nearly above) the knee as my teachers would like. I'm starting to think it may be anatomically impossible... like the length of my tibia plus my long foot is way longer than my femur (thigh) and that's why it won't hold above my knee. Do you think this may be it or I just have "weak" hamstrings in general?

Thanks!

• Administrators

It doesn't belong above the knee anyway. At the knee, yes, but above? NO! That puts it on the quad muscle. :o

So, Ms. Leigh, should I continue trying to strengthen the underneath part of my thigh to get it a little higher? I don't know if adding the weights is overkill but that's what I have been doing for a couple of years now.... don't know what I should change to get that leg higher......what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

gerlonda, are you perhaps one of those people who have been trained to put your toes directly to the side of your knee instead of holding your pinkie toe against the front of your leg in retire?

I'm only asking because I know I've had students for whom this is the case, and the simple act of switching from a "true side" position to a "front" position made all the difference.

• Administrators

Gerlonda, I don't think it's the hamstring strength. It's more like the hip flexibility and the rotation, or, something with the knees that resist getting to that angle. :shrug:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For me, I have to think lift the knee itself higher, like to the ceiling, not get the foot itself folded under higher. It's like what was mentioned above, a hip flexor issue, then. If that helps :)