Ballet Talk for Dancers
Rosewaterandsunshine

rolling or jumping to pointe?

LaFilleSylphide

Despite "springing", we actually do still go through our entire range of foot motion, so demi pointe is still passed! :D

silkmaiden

Despite "springing", we actually do still go through our entire range of foot motion, so demi pointe is still passed! :D

Oh. Well in that case, LMAO, I'm starting to think I don't get the difference anymore!

LaFilleSylphide

That description of scooping or scootching is actually a pretty good example of the springing!

Guest Pas de Quoi

I find it becomes more a matter of strength and control and less a matter of semantics, as you suggest, LaFillesylphide. When a dancer is using correct timing, maintaining lateral rotation at the top of the leg, and actively engaging glutes, hamstrings and inner thighs, then the rising to full pointe in such steps as échappé, has a light and dynamic quality - like a spring or a scoop or a scotch. :)

Miss Persistent

That - Pas de Quoi - is a fantastic way of putting it!

Moonlily

Maybe more related to pointe shoes, but this topic popped into my had during class this week so I'm gonna try it in this one first. ;)

Is a really slow rolling up onto pointe with a focus on getting from demi to full pointe harder on the shank of the pointe shoe? I feel like I am really working hard against it with my feet when doing this. This week we did an excercise where our teacher made us stop at demi pointe for a short moment before going up to full pointe (facing the barre). It was great that I could really feel the work in my feet more intensively this way but I also noticed that the shank had gotten softer than usual after this. At about the point where the big toe joint would be.

So I was wondering: Is this normal for this technique? Or am I having a problem with my technique? Or could it be a problem with the shank (how soft/hard)? My teacher didn't give me that kind of correction, but I think this could kill my shoes way early?