Ballet Talk for Dancers
raven32

confusing dress code

raven32

After seeing my son do ballet for this session. I decided to enroll also. The only issue is that its confusing what dress code do I follow. I am signed up for the adult beg/int ballet class in January. Here is the dress code:BOYS &MENSWhite Shirts, Black Warm-ups or shorts,black ballet slippers *Optionals white socksInt/Adv Boys/Mens Black tights, white shirts, black ballet slippers*Optional warmups

leopard dancer

Whenever there is a question on dress code, I always recommend you asking the teacher what she feels is appropriate. In ballet, the teacher must see what your leg muscles are doing. She needs to see this to give you appropriate corrections. It sounds to me as the studio knows that wearing appropriate ballet attire is a problem for most boys and men (namely tights). This sounds like they are making it optional for you or your son to wear tights or shorts or white socks or even warmups to class. This is a good thing to have options to wear to class for guys. If you are like some guys and it takes a while to get used to wearing tights to ballet class, you can start by wearing shorts or warmups with the ballet shoes to class if the teacher approves it.

AndrewUK

Cant really add much than what Leopard Dancer has said, other than make sure you get a good fitting dance belt, and if shorts are acceptable, then consider using sports compression shorts, they will also give you a "feel" when comes round to wearing tights if you don't want to go use them first off

MattMan

Dang, it took me nothing to get used to wearing tights.  To me they feel awesome.  I love the support they give.  Plus, they really hide how unsightly my legs appear.  They are a VAST improvement.  

I just figured out why my dance instruction wants me to wear anything but black tights.  Unfortunately i purchased two pair as i was "roving" from studio to studio sampling classes.  When i selected a studio and was attending my third class the instructor asked me to now wear black because she wanted to see my legs better.  My first thoughts were 1) almost all studios have black required or permitted for me; and 2) of course we all know black is a little less revealing of the bulges men are typically endowed with.    BUT THEN I REALIZED That the dance floor at my home studio IS BLACK!  So naturally wearing black tights, black socks, and black dance shoes would make things hard for my teacher.  So there may be a bit more to it than just teacher preference.  

Matt

luv2plie

Matt:

That is why MOST ballet schools in the USA has the guys wear black tights, white shirt, dance belt, white socks and white shoes. This way the teacher can see your line and make corrections. I would never recommend to wear all black for ballet classes. MHO

Good luck!

MattMan

Yeah, now the reasons appear pretty obvious.  So when the studio states that there is no dress code for adults, it doesn't quite mean "anything goes."   As  i was "surfing" from studio to studio on a drop in basis to sample the classes i noticed the prevailing "white-black-white-black" (tops/tights/sox/shoes) typical dress code for men.   So  i ended up purchasing two pair of black tights.  Since i won't be wearing them at my new "home" studio, maybe i will convert one pair to knee lenght "cut-offs."   I am a complete novice at all this, and so will ask, if i convert one pair to cut offs, should i re-hem them, and if so, is that difficult to do?  I've never sewn before either.  Happy New Year!  M

Kalashnikov
On 1/2/2019 at 6:05 PM, MattMan said:

Since i won't be wearing them at my new "home" studio, maybe i will convert one pair to knee lenght "cut-offs."   I am a complete novice at all this, and so will ask, if i convert one pair to cut offs, should i re-hem them, and if so, is that difficult to do?  I've never sewn before either.  Happy New Year!  M

It might depend on the brand. Wear Moi Hamada doesn't need to be sewn. I wear them cut below the knee when it's hot.

Seems like there are studios with semi no dress code that still require some sort of correct ballet attire
and studios with really no dress code.

My studio really has no dress code, but to ballet attire feels best and it displays my aspiration and attracts corrections 😉

Johnny Simpatico

Dress codes for ballet are probably devised by females who, recognizing that men are a minority, don't give their attire much thought. Also, perhaps, they don't want to scare males off by talking about tights and dance belts.

This example just came across the transom:

DRESS CODE Students are required to come dressed appropriately for class. Attire should be neat, clean, and allow for proper observation of the body. 

Black leotards and pink an or black tights. 

pink ballet shoes 

Men - jazz pants, joggers and or black gym short. 

So there's apparently a fairly rigid standard for women, but men can wear all kinds of  ... except footwear, for which nothing is specified. (Or are they supposed to wear pink shoes?) Oh yes, and tights and dance belt are apparently not kosher.